Can I Still Move my Nosetip from Left to Right After Rhinoplasty?

My surgeon is planning to make an L-shape implant out of ear cartilage for dorsal augmentation and tip improvement. Can i still move my nose from left to right after months like a normal nose? Is it true that the ear cartilage will become part of my nose eventually so I can move it like before? I'm afraid of having a stiff nose. Thank you very much.

Stiff nose after cartilage grafting

+2

Dear Larry

Nasal movement after nasal cartilage grafting will be limited due to inflammation of tissue. It will take about a year for inflammation to subside and enables the normal nasal range of motion to returns. Even during initial month of your nasal surgery your nasal tip would not be as stiff as you think it would be. Good luck with you. Dr. Sadati

Tip Movement after Rhinoplasty

+2

Cartilage grafts to support your tip can possibly limit movement after surgery but this typically improves with time. Cartilage will become a part of your surrounding nasal tissue.

Initially healing process induces fibrosis and this is the cause for stiffness other than the presence of cartilage graft it self.

Ashok Govila, FRCS, MCh, MS
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Cartilage Grafts

+2

It is possible for cartilage grafts to stiffen the nose after surgery. Immediately after the operation the nose will be much stiffer but will then soften with time.The degree of softening is dependent on what was done at surgery.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Can I Move my Nosal tip from Left to Right After Rhinoplasty?

+2

The cartilage graft may make the nasal tip somewhat stiff right after the surgery, but this stiffness usually resolves with time. There is a certain technique that makes the tip permanently stiffer after the surgery - that is when the tip is sutured to the septum with permanent sutures. However, it seems that this is not what your doctor is planning on doing. Please remember though that having a firm tip may not be the worst thing as tips have a tendency to drop after rhinoplasty, which you don't want. Firm tips usually are more stable.

Alexander Ovchinsky, MD

Ear Cartilage Used In Rhinoplasty

+2

Dear Larry Anne,

The harvested cartilage from your ear will become a part of your nose's after fusion is complete.

Your nose may be a little stiffer after the surgery but will get better with time.

Nonetheless, the key is to choose the right board certified surgeon of ample experience who will preserve your natural looks and provide you with commendable results.

Thank you for your question and best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Tip Movement after Rhinoplasty

+2

Cartilage grafts to support your tip can possibly  limit movement after surgery but this typically improves with time. All this cartilage will become integrated with your surrounding nasal tissue.