Can I Still Get Liposuction After a Myomectomy? (photo)

I'm 46 years old, never had kids and had a myomectomy approximately 10 years ago. I've never had a flat stomach, even before the surgery. After years of eating right and exercising, nothing. As I do my research I'm learning being childless doesn't exempt me from a TT. With my untrained eye my skin laxity looks pretty good, plus I'm muscular. So, does my age and the surgery exclude me as a candidate for liposuction?

Liposuction after surgery

Your previous surgery should have no bearing on your ability to have liposuction.  You should, of course, make your surgeon aware of any previous operations that you have had, but liposuction may be a great option for you- get a consult scheduled with a Board Certified plastic surgeon!

Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

1722 State Street
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Yes you can

Yes you can do liposuction after myomectomy.  You may be a candidate for mini tummy tuck and liposuction, but it is difficult to say with certainty without examining you in person.

Andre Aboolian, MD

120 South Spalding Drive, Suite 233
Beverly Hills , CA 90212

Previous myomectomy is not a contraindication to liposuction.

Many patients have had abdominal surgery and subsequently undergo liposuction. There is no contraindication to liposuction after patient has recovered from an myomectomy.

365 East Paces Ferry Road, NE
Atlanta, GA 30305

Liposuction or Tummy Tuck after Myomectomy

The pictures suggest that a tummy tuck may benefit you more, but an exam would be necessary as well as a discussion of your goals.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

435 North Roxbury Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

You're a Candidate

Liposuction would provide you with a nice result. A tummy tuck with select Lipo of the surrounding areas and tightening of your muscles would likely give you the best result. Liposuction alone could be performed under local anesthesia and the recovery would be very fast. A tummy tuck usually requires general anesthesia and a longer recovery process.  

Justin Yovino, MD, FACS

462 North Linden Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90201

Can I Still Get Liposuction After a Myomectomy

No reason why your age or surgical history should make you anything but a good surgical candidate. 

It does look from the photos that you might be a better candidate for a tummy tuck, however. Best advice is to have a personal consultation with a plastic surgeon.

When you are ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S. Thank you for your question, best wishes.

1110 112th Avenue NE
Bellevue, WA 98004

Liposuction or tummy tuck or both?

I think an exam in person would be essential to offer the best advice. You may be a candidate for liposuction , or you may be a candidate for a tummy tuck.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

You will benefit from liposuction and a tummy tuck

Based on your photograph the quality of your skin will allow for good results with liposuction however with the excess skin and the bulging of your abdominal muscles, a full abdominoplasty and liposuction would yield the best results.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

3901 Veterans Blvd
Metairie, LA 70002

Can I Still Get Liposuction After a Myomectomy?

In general, yes, and it looks like you would be a better candidate for lipo than a TT.  It is hard to say without an in-person consultation which, of course, is what you should have.  But in the absence of skin stretching and contracting (such as after pregnancy), a lipo alone may be indicated.  However, it also has to be determined whether too much of your fat is intra-abdominal to warrant the procedure; if that's the case, you simply won't be able to get as flat an abdomen as you'd like with lipo alone (the fat is not accessible).  Another reason for the in-person consultation.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

122 East 64th Street
New York, NY 10065