Why Do I Still Have a "Jowly Look" After my Lifestyle Lift?

Jowly Look After Lifestyle Lift

+2

The jowls are created by the downward descent of the deeper of the face called the SMAS (you don't need to know what that stands for).  As we age certain facial "ligament" stretch and allow this deeper tissue of move lower. To correct this, this SMAS layer has to be lifted up and put back where it belongs.

To do this a facelift involves lifting the skin off of the SMAS all the way to the nose and the entire neck.  Then this SMAS is either stitched to itself higher up or lifted off of the deeper tissues and rotated up.  This is relatively extensive surgery and takes several hours to complete.  It cannot be done as a "lunch time lift." 

I have not performed the lifestyle lift but know how it is performed.  I don't believe that it can address the jowls adequately as opposed to the techniques listed above.  Just remember, when there are real issues, real surgery has to be performed.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Lifestyle lift problems

+2

Lifestyle Lift, as explained to me by surgeons that used to work for them, is the use of a single procedure to perform a lower facelift.  It may be that that particular procedure was inadequate in correcting your jowls and you may have needed a more extensive procedure to achieve your desired results..  It is difficult to say without photos or an examination.  Hopefully your result was still an improvement.

Web reference: http://drpero.com/aesthetic-procedures/face-lifting/

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Why do I still have jowls

+1

Jowls are the descent of the inner part of the face along with its fat to a position below the jawline. To fix this you need an extensive elevation of this layer called the Smas along its upper margin which is not part of the  Lifestylelift operation.. Lifestyle lift is an abbreviated lower face type lift which may correct minimal jawline jowling but doesn't allow for variatin or customization as was needed in your case.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.