Still Some Jowls After Face Lift and Neck Lift? (photo)

I had a vertical face lift and neck lift 3 months ago and it was to help with early sign of aging and also it was supposed to get rid of the jowls completly. I am pretty happy with the overall result but was wondering if there is a way to further improve the result by doing lipo, or what would be appropriate to remove was is left of them or if I am just being too picky. I included a pic of me before the surgery and one after with an arrow to show what I mean.

What to do 3 months after a Facelift?

+3

Judging from your thumbnail photos, you appear significantly younger in a natural way, without a "windswept" appearance. Therefore, congratulations are in order! This is THE goal of facelift surgery. At 3 months, I wouldn't worry over residual areas of fullness or subtle irregularities. It is common to have such things at 90 days and they typically resolve with additional time. Often, no one sees these except perhaps you and your doctor. So give it a bit more time, and ENJOY your fabulous result.  But don't let down your guard- I always recommend maintenance treatments to my facelift patients, including skin care, peels, and injectables.  Performed judiciously, these important adjunctive treatments will help you look young for years!     

Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Good Facelift Result

+3

From a professional standpoint, I think that you have a rather good initial result at 3 months.  The slight depression on the right side is most likely the area where the SMAS was mobilized and should resolve soon. As other posters have noted, more time (at least 12 months) is required before a final analysis can be made.  Be careful: the stigmatic look of an overdone Facelift is best avoided and sometimes impossible to correct.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Jowing after facelift

+3

I would concur with the other opinions that you have a good result. Three months is far to early to consider any other supplemental procedures. I would wait for at least six more months as the final results of the facelift come into effect. At that point you can assess whether or not you would want supplemental treatments such as facial fillers, laser resurfacing etc.

Todd C. Miller, MD

What To Do About Jowls After Your Facelift? Start With a Smile

+3

Your results after a vertical facelift are actually quite good. Remember, when people look at you they are not looking at specific areas (to see if you have jowls, areas of slight fullness, or mild contour abnormalities). Instead they are looking at the overall appearance your face and using the overall effect to determine whether you look young or old, tired or refreshed, and pretty or not so much. After looking at your photos I would say this (and would say it fairly emphatically), "the person in the after pictures looks much younger, much more refreshed, and quite pretty compared to the before photo". In other words, yes you are being much too picky. Be happy with your results. If you still don't believe me, go somewhere where other people of your age go to relax and see how much attention you get compared to what you would have happened prior to your surgery. My guess is that you will be very pleasantly surprised with what you find. Best of luck.

Michael R. Menachof, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift results may still be evolving at 3 months

+3

It looks like you had a nice result, with a little residual "pulling" in the cheeks.  It is not uncommon for some swelling and "dimpling" to last for several months after surgery.  This is why we suggest looking at one year photos to determine the long term results from surgery. At 3 months I would not recommend any further treatments - other then waiting and enjoying the early improvement.

David Magilke, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

After a facelift, sometimes it's best to leave a good result alone.

+3

I think you have a good result from the facelift.  I'm not sure what the contour abnormality of the right cheek is but your plastic surgeon will.  Save for that, things appear to have worked out quite well for you.

Face lift dissatisfaction

+2

Thank you for asking about your face lift result.

1. You have a lovely face lift result with clear improvement.
  2. The area you point to in your face lift photo is most likely swelling over the sutures.This will subside.
  3. Jowls are the heaviness along the mid jaw. Yours appear to be gone.
  4. Time improves face lift results. Yours is already very good. No need to worry. Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Nice Results After Facelift

+2

You have an outstanding result, and ANY plastic surgeon would put you on the website.  I think you should thank your plastic surgeon.

Pretty Happy With a Very Good Facelift

+2

Lolita, I think you answered your own question when you opined that you may just be "too picky". At one month you look and seem to feel good about your result. In fact, your arrows do not indicate recurring jowls but you seem to have a little retained swelling in the area of your SMAS tightening. This would be totally normal and any treatment other than gentle massage would likely make it worse. You should smile and continue a good skin care regiment in some way based on the use of Retin A. Further liposuction could be a disaster and very difficult to repair.

Paul S. Howard, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Consider Ulthera

+1

Thank you for the question and photo.  For some patients the jowls are the most difficult to fully correct.  When this occurs several options are available including Ulthera.  Ulthera is a non invasive ultrasound based deep tissue tightening treatment that can be used to tighten the jowls.  It will not produce results as powerful as a face lift but it can potentially give you the improvements you seek.

Dr Remus Repta 

Remus Repta, MD