Still in Pain After Seromas Were drained, Do I Have Other Options?

I developed post surgical seromas in bilateral breasts about 2 weeks post reduction. I did have them drained about 15ml removed. I saw my plastic surgeon after and she attempted to drain them again with no success. she told me just to massage them 4-5 times a day but it is so painful and the areas are very hard. It hurts to even run your finger along the side of my breast. is there anything else I can do?

Painful breasts a few weeks after breast reduction

+1

You did not state how long postoperatively that you are at present. Nevertheless, you appear to still be in a period of considerable inflammation so experiencing discomfort is not uncommon. Seromas will not resolve with massaging nor are they typically associated with the pain that you are describing (and they are also rare with breast reductions). 

Is it possible that you actually have a hematoma, an accumulation of blood. You may want to seek a second opinion from a board certified plastic surgeon to determine if your present course of action is appropriate and the diagnosis is accurate.

Breast Reduction and Pain?

+1

Unfortunately, pain along the sides of the breasts  can be a normal  finding 2 weeks after breast reduction surgery ( especially if liposuction is done as well).  It is in your best interests  to continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon who knows your situation best and can advise you regarding additional treatment and/or use of medications for symptom control.

Hopefully, once you are out of this acute recovery phase,  you will begin to enjoy the results of your breast reduction;  it tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations performed.

Seromas after breast reduction

+1

We find seromas uncommon after breast reduction and have stopped using drains. Very infrequently bleeding can be an issue and the breast is best treated with irrigation to wash things out and then a drain for several days. Bleeding, or hematoma, will cause swelling and pain, and perhaps your surgeon should have a second look.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com