Three Rhinoplasties and Tissue Isn't Taken Care of?

I have had rhinoplasty and two revisions and the issue is still not taken care of. Should I give up, should the surgeon do another revision or should I look elsewhere? From what I have seen my request isn't unreasonable.

Three Rhinoplasties and Dissatisfaction

+1

After three rhinoplasties from the same surgeon and dissatisfaction, you should seek the opinion of another surgeon.  As to whether or not the request is reasonable, it is hard to make any statements about this without a series of pictures or an exam.

Multiple revision rhinoplasties

+1

After revision rhinoplasty, swelling lasts longer and a mininum of 12 months should elapse before attempting another revision.  In general the most likely cause of your problems is scar tissue.  Revisional surgery needs to be quite delicate, and the surgeon should have significant experience. At this point, I would go to another surgeon.  After more than one failed attempt to fix the problem, it is unlikely your surgeon is going to succeed on yet another attempt, and may not be approaching the problem in the optimal way.

Thomas A. Mustoe, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty Revision with Caution

+1

Revision of a rhinoplasty can be very tricky and should be done with caution.  It takes time - 12 months or more for everything to heal.  Scar tissue maturation and skin retraction is just that slow!  Skin thickness, bone and cartilage may limit the final result, so not everything you want may be possible.  Re-operating too soon just compounds the problem!  If your surgeon is not able to answer your questions satisfactorily, then by all means obtain a second opinion.  I would see an experienced surgeon who has done many revisions.

Randy J. Buckspan, MD

Multiple rhinoplasty revisions is a special problem

+1

It's hard to be patient when you've tried so hard to get the nose you desire.  With this many surgeries you have some scar tissue affecting the outcome.  I didn't see your photos, but most surgeons would advise you to wait 6 to 12 mos before any further surgery.  I would advise you to seek out a specialist who performs rhinoplasty revisions as his or her main surgery.

D'Arcy Honeycutt, MD
Bismarck Plastic Surgeon