Can I still get a fat transfer to my face if I'm pretty skinny? (photo)

If I gain weight, say one size from 5-10 pds, and can no longer fit in my clothes will I be able to after the transfer since fat will be removed from the unwanted area to desired area? I'm 5'1.5" and happy at 105-110 tops; I'm now 118 (fat % measure indicates a 6.9 pd gain of actual fat). I want to fit back into my jeans/slacks! ...But I also want to plump up the front facial flattening, cheeks and hallows of the temple region.

As long as you have some fat for transfer, you can do it.

+2

Almost everyone has enough fat to do a fat transfer. The exceptions are elite athletes, and extremely thin people. It sounds like you would have enough to harvest and then transfer into your face. You should know that if you do a fat transfer and then lose a significant amount of weight, the transferred fat my shrink and the result will be less than what you had hoped for. Similarly, if someone gains a lot of weight after a fat transfer, their face may look overcorrected.

Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

​Fat Transfer for a skinny person

+1

Fat Transfer for a skinny person

Fat injections can be performed safely and successfully in a thin individual. Typically there is adequate amount of fat that can be harvested from the love handle areas even in very thin persons. If this fat is processed properly and injected using the latest techniques the results are quite predictable and satisfactory.

Boris M. Ackerman, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Fat transfer

+1

You shouldn't need to gain weight to transfer fat to your face. Even skinny individuals have enough fat for facial treatment.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Facial fat transfer

+1

Very small volumes of fat are needed for cosmetic facial grafting. Even thin patients will have some fat just under the skin in various areas (such as abdomen, hips, thighs, buttocks) for fat grafting.

Should be OK to loose the weight you are looking to loose and still have some fat for grafting. Remember, you may also loose some wanted fat in the face as well during your weight loss.

James Bruno, DMD, MD
Chevy Chase Plastic Surgeon