I Am Still Experiencing Quite a Bit of Pain Since my Breast Augmentation 3 Months Ago, is This Normal?

I had my surgery on October 18th 2012 and I am still experiencing tenderness on my breasts. Particularly in the nipples. My scars are also still bumpy and my breasts haven't fully dropped and still look a little funny. Is this normal after more than 3 months after surgery? Thank you for your help.

Post augmentation changes.

+1

The healing times from a breast augmentation extend beyond a year. Nipple sensitivity changes can take 6 to 12 months to normalize and scar formation and maturation continues well beyond a year from surgery. Some intermittent pains are normal (particularly with your cycle), but continuous pain is usually an indication of something else going on. The recommendation is for you to follow up with your plastic surgeon for a thorough evaluation.

Web reference: http://www.drbogue.com

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Still Experiencing Pain Since my Breast Augmentation 3 Months Ago, is This Normal?

+1

Tenderness or hypersensitivity in the nipple area can be normal after 3 months. Nerves can take that long to settle down a bit...Horrible pain in the breast itself is not very normal. And if your implants have not settled down in 3 months....sorry, but they probably won't.....Keep trying massage but it is doubtful...

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants at 3 months

+1

I think that you need to have an exam to be properly counseled.  Pain at three months is a bit unsual.  Sesnsory changes shoudl improve over time.

Pain after breast augmentation

+1

What you are describing seems to be from nerve pain.  This may persist several months to year.  Occasional shooting pain/sensitivity  to nipples is common after breast augmentation.  In regards to implant positioning, most implants do settle in 3 months; however, depending on patients, it may take a little longer.  If you had a very tight skin or muscle, it would take longer for the implants to drop down to their final location.  I would continue massaging the implants and scars and follow up with your plastic surgeon.

Web reference: http://www.drkimplasticsurgery.com

Tenderness 3 months after breast implants

+1

It can be common to have persistent tenderness and sensitivity to the nipples several months after surgery, particularly if the incision is around the areola.  There is a nerve responsible for sensation in this area that comes from the side where your ribs are located.  This nerve can become stretched as a result of the larger implants, injured or bruised or even cut.  I would continue to be patient, continue to be reevaluated by your surgeon periodically, and massage the implant and your torso near the outside edge of your implant near your rib cage in an effort to desensitize the nerves.  Good luck!

Southport Plastic Surgeon

Breast and nipple tenderness after implants

+1

For most the tenderness will have subsided by three months, though given that the scar is still pink and bumpy your healing clock is longer. The sensitivity is a sign of inflammation in the tissue and will go away over time. For the pain an anti-inflammatory can give relief, use light massage, and suppport the breast until things are sorted out.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com

Breast Pain After Surgery

+1

Hello and thank you for the question.

Breast tenderness along with changes in sensation around the nipple-areolar complex can last for extended periods of time in some patients and will vary from patient to patient.  The same is true for the breasts dropping, and especially in women that are either nulliparous or have smaller breast prior to breast augmentation.

My advice would be to remain patient and follow-up with your surgeon on a routine basis to track your progress.

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S. 

Web reference: http://www.beverlyhillscosmeticsurgeon.com/breast-augmentation.php