Still have a dorsal hump on my nose 3 weeks after surgery. Will a procedure to remove this hump produce major swelling again?

I still have a dorsal hump on my nose after my primary closed rhinoplasty 3 weeks ago. Will I have to pay for a revision and will this produce major swelling on my nasal tip and nose again? Is it normal to remove the hump with filing and minimal swelling?

+1
It is simply too early to make a judgement about the final result or the need for revision.

Los Angeles, CA.

Revise dorsal hump 1 month post op

+1
Yes there would be more swelling and bruising if the revision is done this early.
Although I don't do many revisions I recommend waiting a few months in order for the initial swelling to abate before revising.   The original surgeon  should have a policy regarding charging for revision.

Richard O. Gregory, MD

Dorsal hump at 3 weeks

+1
At three weeks if you have a dorsal hump it may be related to swelling.  Best to give it time anyway to heal. No one would do a revision a this early a time.

Dorsal Hump three weeks post surgery

+1
If you still have a dorsal hump three weeks post surgery then you may need revision surgery. The extent of the revision procedure will depend on if you need just a simple rasping of the dorsum or a combination of excision and rasping. Depending on your need will determine the amount of swelling you will have, it could be very minimal. As far as payment goes this is something you will need to discuss with your surgeon and what his/her policy is and what you had agreed upon as your proposed result. Most surgeons will provide minor revisions at no charge. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Dorsal hump revision

+1
The dorsal hump is composed of cartilage and bone and frequently requires a combination of rasping and sharp excision.  A revision will cause swelling again but not anything out of the ordinary.  A 4-6 weeks period of swelling is a small price to pay to obtain the right dorsum you desire. 

John Michael Thomassen, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Still have a dorsal hump on my nose

+1
After three weeks if the hump is there it is likely to stay. A revision might cause less swelling depending on what need be done, however as we always recommend, wait six months or more before you decide.

+1
You will need to talk to your surgeon regarding payment of revision surgery.  In general, if revision surgery is needed, it can be done in an office setting.  The swelling is usually very minimal.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Be patient

+1
Dorsal hump removal is a very common maneuver during rhinoplasty.  There are several key ways to do this and the technical aspect will depend on the amount of reduction and your surgeon's preference.
3 weeks out from surgery you can expect to still have quite a bit of edema.  Hump reduction removes bone and underlying cartilage while the skin is left to redrape and contract over this new skeleton.  Without examining you, I cannot say whether a hump (excess bone &/or cartilage) remains or if this is expected postoperative swelling that will take time to resolve.
Nasal surgery imparts nasal trauma to the nose.  With some of the thinnest skin on the body, nasal swelling can be significant and will ALWAYS be present after rhinoplastic surgery - primary or revision.  In fact, swelling can be worse after a revision procedure.
Be patient and discuss your concerns with your surgeon.  I ideally perform revision cases after at least 1 year has passed.  Payment for revision work is between you and your surgeon, but typically is required.  Hope this helps.

Christian Stallworth, MD
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon