Still Looking Distorted After 16 Days?

I read that after two weeks you are presentable, but I look totally plastic! When will I start to look like myself? It's so obvious I had something done. I am very concerned. My adult children say I don't look like me. IMO hope I don't regret this. Thank you. Marie

The Face Is Still Healing At This Point

+1

You may still have swelling in the area and need time to recover fully from your procedure.  By this time you should have also had a post operative appointment or have one coming up. This would be a good time for you to have all your questions and concerns ready for your physician so he can help ease some of your worries. Just remember, it is still early, so give it the time it needs to heal and settle. “Dr. D”

Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

2 Weeks after a face lift is still early to tell

+1

At 2 weeks, you should be presentable in the manner that bruising should be minimal enough to cover with makeup.  If you look to tight, your tissue will likely continue to relax some- if your surgeon has a reputation for doing a natural facelift and his or her's before and after photos looked good to you, it is likely that your result will mimic the kinds of results he has.  Give yourself sometime to heal before you get too concerned.

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Looking strange after a facelift

+1

It is normal to look "strange" 2 weeks after a facelift. This, with time, should resolve. Check with your surgeon to make sure that everything went well. If it did, then just relax and let the healing continue. Worrying about it will cause you unnecessary stress.

Andres Bustillo, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Recovering from a facelift

+1

Two weeks is still soon after your surgery, and it is not abnormal to have residual swelling at this time. Your condition should improve over the next few weeks. In the meantime, I would recommend communicating any concerns with your physician, as he/she knows the extent of your procedure and exactly what was performed. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck with the remainder of your recovery. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

"Plastic Look" 2 Weeks After Facelift

+1

Although you are 2 weeks into the healing after your facelift, the process is not complete. Most patients are presentable at this point without looking "wonderful". You should still notice puffiness and sometimes a slightly "over-done" look. This will change over the next few weeks.

The recovery can vary from patient to patient. In addition, your surgeon's technique and whether you had ancillary procedures will have an impact on the recovery.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Most patients are socially presentable two weeks after a facelift.

+1

Two weeks after a facelift most patients can present themselves in public without appearing to of had an operation. However, several changes over several months or part of the normal convalescent process.

Facelift Results

+1

At two weeks patients are usually presentable, with most of the bruising gone. But it can take weeks and even months before you will see the final result and for all the of the swelling to dissipate. Sleeping with your head elevated will help with swelling, and as your surgeon has probably advised you, you should not be doing any strenuous exercise for 4 to 6 weeks.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Swelling after a facelift

+1

Most patients are relatively presentable 2 to 3 weeks following a facelift.   If you had a lot of bruising then you may be delayed.  Continue to massage your face and give it time to heal.  It never heals on your schedule so relax and do the best you can do in the interim.   

How long after having a facelift does it take for swelling to improve?

+1

Dear Stryke,

It's very difficult to say what the issues causing "distortion" of your face might be without photos. However, 16 days is early in the post operative period. There is still swelling at this point. Give it another couple of weeks. By that point you should have a much better idea of what your final result will be. Best of luck to you.

David Cangello, MD

2 weeks is too soon to determine final results.

+1

It can take months for all of the swelling to subside following plastic surgery.  Try to be patient.  Depending on the extent of the surgery, you may be swollen for weeks to months.  Just make sure that you are following up with all of your after care instructions as well as appointments.