Broken Nose, Cast Off, Still Crooked? (photo)

On December 2012 I went through rhinoplasty. My PS did a great job in getting rid of the hump, but I wasn't happy with my tip since it became wider and also the size. I just felt he could have done more.Just 2 weeks ago I fainted in the bathroom and fell in the bathtub and broke my nose. Last week my PS did a simple surgery to straighten the nose, just took the cast off today, my nose is till crocked, don't know what do to do, I'm so pissed, is this swelling?

Crooked nose following surgery

+1

Hello, and sorry to hear about your accident. You are going to be quite swollen when your cast is removed. Swelling can give the appearance of asymmetry and irregularities. It would be best to give it a little time and see how you heal before coming to any conclusions about the final result. In general, 70% of the swelling is resolved after the first 3 months, and the remainder goes down over time. it can take 18-24 months to see the final result. I would recommend speaking with your surgeon about any immediate post-operative concerns. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck with the remainder of your recovery.

Broken nose still crooked

+1

Just like the old saying goes, sometimes you just need to wait things out. I agree with Dr. Hughes and feel that at this point, you need to give the soft tissue a chance to recover before considering any type of intervention. The simple resetting of the bones after the fall is one thing, but it is way too soon to consider any type of revision. It is very frustrating for both the surgeon and patient when an accident causes trauma to a healing nose,or any other body part for that matter, but it is critical to give it up to a year before you can critically assess the final results. The current swelling will resolve and the final result may  be acceptable to you in the end. Good luck!

Allen D. Rosen, MD
Montclair Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and revision

+1

I am not sure why a revision was done so soon after your surgery in December. Because swelling takes so long to go away( often up to a year) it is best to wait about a year for a revision.

More work needed.

+1

First, I would go to another plastic surgeon for a second opinion.  Hopefully, he will tell you that the upper part of your nose is narrow and the lower half of your nose is broad.  In my opinion, you need a lot more work to reduce the size of and better define your nasal tip.  I would also advise a reduction of the alar base of your nose with Weir excision, which would give you a much better balance to your nose.  Good luck.  Revision rhinoplasty is not easy.  

Tae Ho Kim, MD

Splint Off and Concerns of Crooked Nature of Nose

+1

A week after rhinoplasty, swelling will be asymmetric in many cases.  It is very difficult to assess the relative shape and cant of the nose, unless there is a great deviation.  At this point, I do not see a great deviation, and you should continue to followup with your plastic surgeon.  The results from surgery may take a year to be realized.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA