Can I Still Get a Chin Implant with an Overbite?

Hi, I have a slight overbite. Would i still be able to get a chin implant and what would be the average cost? thanks

Chin Implant with An Overbite

+1

This discussion can be a fairly technical one, but a chin implant may be a good alternative in your case.  You will need an exam.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs chin augmentation on a regular basis.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Can I still get a chin implant with an overbite?

+1

You can get a chin implant with an overbite, but the implant will not affect your bite in any way. To fix any issues with your bite, an orthodontic assessment would be necessary. Chin implants generally yield a fantastic result for patients with a receding chin, and I think you would be really happy with the outcome. From here, I would recommend a consultation with an experienced facial plastic surgeon. He/she may use computer imaging software to give you an idea of how the final result may appear. The morphed image that is generated can also serve as a fantastic communication tool between you and your prospective surgeon, and allow you to make suggestions to him or her so you may obtain the best possible outcome. Thank you and I hope this helps!

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Chin Implants

+1

Chin implants are used for retruded chins, referred to as microgenia.  It can be performed as an isolated procedure or in combination with jaw surgical procedures when there is maloccusion for retruded  jaws   When evaluated by your surgeon, it will determined the cause of the appearance of the "small" chin.

Craig Mezrow, MS, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant and Overbite

+1

Placement of a chin implant will have no bearing on the occlusion of the teeth.  Mild underbite and overbite are best treated with orthodontics, while significant bite problems arre treated with mandibular osteotomies.  Cost of a chin implant is about 3K,under local anesthesia.  

+1

Yes. Having a slight overbite does not preclude placing a chin implant. However, an important point to understand is that a chin implant will not change your bite at all. Only jaw advancement surgery will improve your bite. However, if your bite is adequate and you're only interested in improving your profile, then a chin implant is usually a good option. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant/Overbite

+1

A chin implant is a camouflaging procedure that does not affect (either positively or negatively) a patient's occlusion.  If the patient has significant malocclusion, an orthodontic consultation should be obtained before undergoing chin implantation and all options should be discussed.  The procedure is typically performed under local anesthesia and takes 15-30 minutes.  The cost range is from $2000-4000.

Jonathan Sykes, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon