Can I Still Get a Chin Augmentation W/ Implant Even Though I Have over Bite?

Will I still be eligible to get chin augmentation even though I have an overbite?Also does chin surgery envolve alot of bleeding during the surgery?

Candidacy for chin augmentation with class I malocclusion

+2

An over bite does not preclude you from receiving a chin implant, but if you are planning to pursue orthognathic surgery at some point in the future then it's prudent to hold off on chin implantation until your occlusion (bite) is addressed.  

Chin Implant

+2

A chin implant sits right on the surface of the chin bone and does not change the teeth position at all.  Changing your bite would require either jaw surgery or braces (maybe both).  If you are considering jaw surgery, don't do a chin implant until after as you may not need one. Placing a chin implant is a very easy recovery with minimal pain, bleeding, bruising or swelling.

John Bitner, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant in Patient with Overbite

+2

A chin implant can be done to improve chin projection but will have no effect on your occlusion. Jaw advancement should also be considered. There is very minimal bleeding during placement of an implant.

Chin implant with overbite

+2

You certainly can have a chin implant with an overbite . Whether or not it would benefit you would have to be determined on exam or at least from profile pictures. The operation itself is usually no bloodier than a dental procedure.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

I perform many Chin Augmentations with Chin Implants and yes, you can have a Chin Implant with an existing overbite.  The Chin Implant surgery is quite blood-less, in experienced hands and augments the bone without changing or affecting occlusion.  

Chin implantation and overbite

+1

You can have a chin implant to correct a weak chin, but it won't address your overbite. Oral surgery can be used to address the bite and chin position if you prefer.

You can read more about chin augmentation at my web reference link below.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Chin augmentation candidate with overbite?

+1

A chin augmentation would not be expected to affect the bite in any way; it will only alter the shape and/or projection of the chin.  Thus, if you only have a relatively mild overbite, and your jaw and bite function is relatively normal, then a chin augmentation may be appropriate.  On the other hand, if you have any abnormality of your bite, you may be better served by a jaw reealignment procedure.  Typically there is minimal bleeding with chin augmentation surgery,, and I often do them under local anesthesia.

Joseph L. Grzeskiewicz, MD

Chin implant for an overbite

+1

A chin implant placement will only ring the chin forward for cosmetic purposes and not in any bearing on  an overbite. To correct an overbite and the cosmetic deformity of the chin, consider a  mandibular osteotomy by an oral surgeon.

Chin Implant Augmentation with Overbite

+1

As long as you have knowingly excluded the option of jaw advancement surgery and are aware that a chin implant will not correct your bite, there is no reason you can not have chin implant augmentation. There is very minimal bleeding from chin augmentation surgery.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Chin augmentation with overbite

+1

While it would be possible to have a chin augmentation (with an implant) with an over bite, it's possible that other types of surgery may be more appropriate.  I would recommend having your teeth and bite evaluated by a dentist and perhaps an oral surgeon before considering the implant.  There is normally very little bleeding involved with placement of a chin implant.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon