Should I Still Have Chest Pain 8 Days Post BA?

had augmentation 8 days ago now. I had allergen natural, submusculor, 445g is the size of each imlant. I am still having pain in my chest and sometimes find it hard to take a deep breath. I do have some mucus that's a dark brown but only a little. I gave up smoking 2 weeks before my op and haven't started again. I am also having lots of like contractions in my chest muscle as well as stiff neck and back pain. I have called the hospital and they said it was all normal and maybe see Gp. Thanks D

Chest Pain And Dark Brown Mucus 8 Days After Breast Augmentation

+1

Normally, a patient would feel soreness and pain after a breast augmentation but such feelings will have to subside and at one week post surgery, it should be minimal.

As for the brown mucus and the respiratory issue, it is not normal and I highly recommend you to contact your PS or primary care physician for a physical examination.

Thank you for your inquiry and the best of wishes to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Chest pain after having a breast augmentation

+1

None of those symptoms are "normal" even after surgery... Although they may arise from a smoking history or post-operative pain, I'd be sure to see the plastic surgeon or a general doctor if those symptoms don't improve soon.

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD

Chest pain after augmentation

+1

Hi, while it is normal to have some muscle and incision pain after augmentation for several days to a few weeks, it is not normal to have respiratory symptoms like dark mucous and difficulty breathing. please contact your plastic surgeon or your primary care doctor to get evaluated.

Antoine A. Hallak, MD, FACS

Pain after breast augmentation

+1

Hello and thanks for the question.

Chest pain and muscular contractions are quite common following breast augmentation - they can take days to weeks to resolve.  My recommendation would be follow up with your physician if your symptoms don't continue to improve or if new onset shortness of breath develops -  and certainly, it would serve you well to stop smoking  for good.

Kindest Regards,

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S. 

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Chest pain 8 day post augmentation.

+1

Just reading your note, I think you need to contact your plastic surgeon or primary care physician. Although pain is normal after breast augmentation. in the first few days, pain that   does not improve along with difficulty to take deep breath is a concern. 

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Pain After Breast Enlargement

+1

Dear Summer12,   Your symptoms are very common after breast surgery. They will resolve with time. This can take 1-3 weeks on average. Muscle relaxants are very useful in my practice and we use them for 2-4 weeks after surgery. Please follow up with your surgeon to be sure.

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Chest pain after breast augmentation

+1

Chest pain can be from many things. The likely cause is from the surgery dissection, but if concerned, an exam in person would be beneficial jsut in case it ws something else.

Absolutely

+1
You have had a surgical procedure.  Your tissues were cut, an implant has been placed and it is being stretched out.  Give all this, it is perfectly normal to have chest pain.  Give it time and you will feel better

Martin Jugenburg, MD

How long should pain last after breast augmentation?

+1

After 10 years and personally performing over a thousand breast augmentations, I have learned a lot about the recovery phase.

Most patients will only require pain medication for 3-5 days. Uncommonly patients will take medications for just over a week. Having said that, pain is a very subjective thing and everyone has a different pain tolerance. The pain after depends on the technique used by the surgeon (blunt dissection hurts more than careful cautery dissection), the pocket placement of the implant (subglandular hurts less than submuscular), the size (dimensions and volume) of the implant (the bigger and wider the implant the more it hurts), the relative tightness of the tissues of the breast and muscle (tighter tissues have a harder time stretching thus more pain). I've also noticed that smokers have more pain than non-smokers. I will give a muscle relaxer if I put the implants under the muscle. Doing immediate arm elevation excercises after surgery also keeps the stiffness away. after two weeks I encourage non-narcotic pain medication such as ibuprofen or naproxen for the anti-inflammatory and pain action of these meds.

Consider two very different senarios:

!. A young athletic18 year old patient who has never been pregnant or breast fed with tight skin and well-developed chest muscles who has A or B cup breasts who goes with an implant that is too large and wide for her small frame, say 600cc submuscular done by a surgeon through the arm pit by blunt dissection. That patient is going to be in serious pain. (I would never agree to do this!)

2. A 37 year old mother of 4 kids who breast fed around a year with each child whose tissues are softer and pliable with thin muscles. She has full B cup breast and decides on a subglandular 300cc implant and the surgeon uses a careful cautery dissection method. This patient could likely be fine with Tylenol only.

Kevin Rose, MD
Provo Plastic Surgeon

Chest pain after breast augmentation

+1

What you're experiencing is quite normal.  Soreness, tightness and pressure feelings are normal eight days after breast augmentation.  The muscle spasms are also normal.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon