Still bleeding. Sutures didn't dissolve and skin has healed over them. Painful. What should be done? (photo)

5 wks post op labiaplasty & laproscopic hysterectomy. Still having light ab pain & bleeding: spotting to dripping, light to dark color. Is this normal? Same doc did labiaplasty at same time. Sutures didn't dissolve. He says due to not enough blood flow/enzyme to area. Been back 3x for suture removal. I still feel sutures inside skin. He says my body encapsulated them & that's what I'm feeling. He says massage them & they'll go away. They don't seem to be. I have burning, itching, & pain. What should I do?

Labiaplasty and sutures

+2
Hi. The sutures will dissolve, but they take longer to dissolve in some people than others. Definitely massage the sensitive areas as this will help the sensitivity and the scarring to resolve as quickly as possible. Regards Dr Charles Cope

Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty and healing

+2
At just 5 weeks post labiaplasty, some absorbable sutures may still be present and may take a few more weeks to desolve.  Also, at 4 to 6 weeks scar can be thick and tender and can cause the symptoms you have described.  You doctor is correct that massaging the area may help speed the healing process.  You might ask your doctor if he/she would also recommend using a topical hydrocortizone cream which may also help.  best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Depending on suture type, it may be a few more weeks.

+2
Some dissolvable sutures take longer than others to break down. Depending on the suture type you could be looking at another month before all the material is gone. At that point, its likely your symptoms will improve. Good luck

Robert Frank, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon