Stiff Lip Two Months After Rhinoplasty?

I am a bilateral cleft lip and palate. Two months ago I had a rhinoplasty, and a fat lip graft, where they took skin cells from an old scar and inserted it my lip to help improve my lip, when you look at a profile view of me and have pretty much recovered now. However, when I try to smile my upper lip barely shows my teeth. How much longer until I can smile normally, and is there anything I can do to speed the process? ( such as massaging it or something else?) Thanks

Fat or dermal graft transfer will take months to soften and sensation to return

+1

Dear kssunflower96

• Massage and protecting your skin from the sun are good ideas
  • 9-12 months is a good rule of thumb for sensation returning
  • If there are hard, thick or nodular parts to your lip, call for an appointment with your surgeon.  There may be a place for steroid injections.

PS Kansas is my favorite place.

Best Wishes

Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stiff Lip two months after cleft lip rhinoplasty

+1

Edema or swelling postoperatively may be common, specifically after revising a scar from a bilateral cleft lip repair and having grafting to the area to improve the aesthetic appearance. Your only 2 months postoperatively, despite the appearance of the area her still undergoing healing and it'll take approximately 6 months to a year for you to completely heal.  massage and area sometimes recommended however I will consult her surgeon as to what here she recommends to soften the area and improve your smile.

Ernesto Hayn, MD

Lip augmentation after rhinoplasty

+1

It is quite common to have a stiff lip and swelling after the lip is augmented, and the rhinoplasty is performed.