Stiff Lip Two Months After Rhinoplasty?

I am a bilateral cleft lip and palate. Two months ago I had a rhinoplasty, and a fat lip graft, where they took skin cells from an old scar and inserted it my lip to help improve my lip, when you look at a profile view of me and have pretty much recovered now. However, when I try to smile my upper lip barely shows my teeth. How much longer until I can smile normally, and is there anything I can do to speed the process? ( such as massaging it or something else?) Thanks

Fat or dermal graft transfer will take months to soften and sensation to return

Dear kssunflower96

• Massage and protecting your skin from the sun are good ideas
  • 9-12 months is a good rule of thumb for sensation returning
  • If there are hard, thick or nodular parts to your lip, call for an appointment with your surgeon.  There may be a place for steroid injections.

PS Kansas is my favorite place.

Best Wishes

Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stiff Lip two months after cleft lip rhinoplasty

Edema or swelling postoperatively may be common, specifically after revising a scar from a bilateral cleft lip repair and having grafting to the area to improve the aesthetic appearance. Your only 2 months postoperatively, despite the appearance of the area her still undergoing healing and it'll take approximately 6 months to a year for you to completely heal.  massage and area sometimes recommended however I will consult her surgeon as to what here she recommends to soften the area and improve your smile.

Ernesto Hayn, MD

Lip augmentation after rhinoplasty

It is quite common to have a stiff lip and swelling after the lip is augmented, and the rhinoplasty is performed.