Will steroid injections help reduce scar tissue from previous plastic surgery?

I had cheek implants removed a couple years ago. No sagging occured ,but unfortunatley i developed a layer of scar tissue where the implants were adding unwanted bulk to my face. I think that surgery will just cause more scare tissue so I was looking at injections. Do you think they will help?

Steroid injections to reduce scar tissue

+1

For areas that are too firm or hard from scar tissue, or too lumpy (e.g. hypertrophic scars or keloid scars), injecting cortisone by an experienced and highly trained physician such as a dermatologist or plastic surgeon is a good option. Best to have your scar tissue examined in person to make the best judgement.

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Steroid injections for scar tissue after facial plastic surgery

+1

Steroid injections are commonly used in facial plastic surgery, primarily to help soften scars. Steroid injections may be performed at the time of surgery for those patients who have predisposition to scars, or anytime afterward during the healing process. Steroids, however, may have unwanted side effects.

Steroid injections in the cheeks may possibly be an option to reduce scarring after cheek implants. Generally, time and facial massage is probably a preferred option after cheek implant removal. However, you'll need to visit a plastic surgeon to help determine appropriate options for you.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Steroid injections for scar tissue

+1

I would be very cautious here with the use of steroids. I would probably prefer gentle massage and time as the answer. Even very dilute kenalog injections in the malar area has the potential to cause visible changes in the skin and can be hard to control. It can take up to two years for all the swelling and fullness to abate from where the implants were removed. It is easy to do something but harder to go back and reverse any unwanted results. I place all my cheek implants with incisions from under the lip and there is rarely any scar problems either with insertion of possible removal.

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laser treatment may be a good option for your scars.

+1

Steroid injections can help to soften a scar. It is best to do the injections as the scar is healing, so 2 years out may not help significantly. There is a laser, the 1540nm non-ablative fractionated resurfacing laser, which can improve the appearance of scars even after 2 years. You would need at least 3 treatments spaced about a month apart, and the scar should both soften and decrease in size.

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon