Steroid Injections for Ear Otoplasty Scars?

If my scar is still visible after six months can I get the steroid injections? Or do I have to do it as soon as possible? Can I use silicone sheets now? And how long should I use it for, for best results?

Scar Management

+1

Silicone sheeting is very helpful.  Steroids are helpful also.  I use these methods for scars that are raised and/or thick.  Your scar will be visible at 6 months typically slightly red.  this redness should start to diminish over time to decrease their visibility.  The body is incredible at taking care of things.  Visit with your plastic surgeon to discuss your options if any are needed at this point.

Dr. ES

Steroids for otoplasty scarring

+1

Yes, you can and should consider steroids at this point for prominent scarring.  The window of time that they are effective is surprisingly large, so take advantage of them at this point if the scars truly are elevated.  If they are just red, then vascular lasers or IPL's can be used to bring them down  a few notches for redness, and may choke off some of the vascularity that drives hypertrophic scars.

Silicone sheeting is an effective way to provide moisture to an incision, and has been shown to be of value to reduce scarring.  A new product is available called Invicible, which contains a number of additional components that also help to reduce scarring.  You can google it to find the closest source.  Sheets would be impossible to use in that site.

Kevin Robertson, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Otoplast scar

+1

Consult your surgeon. It is difficult to answer your question without exam or atleast a picture.Steroids can be used but also time improves scars..

Steroid injections and topical silicone may be helpful for your otoplasty scars.

+1

If you have a raised, red, bothersome otoplasty scar, it's not too late to try a triamcinolone (steroid) injection to the areas. This may be surprisingly helpful for you. You may want to apply topical lidocaine ointment or cream 30 minutes before your injection to reduce discomfort.

Topical silicone preparations help as well. You may want to try Scar Guard: this is a silicone liquid that is painted on like nail-polish. You won't see dramatic results with topical silicone, but it won't hurt.

All the best from NJ.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Steroids or silicone for ear scars (otoplasty)

+1

Siicone is typically worn for at least 10-12 hours a day for 4-9 months. However, this is extremely difficult in this location and topical silicone gel preparations may bre preferred over the sheeting material. Steroids can typically be injected at any time but typically at least a minimum of 3 weeks after surgery.