Steroid Injection for Facial Scar Tissue? (photo)

I had a scar excision on my jawline5 weeks ago. It didn't close and had to be redone 1 week later. I then developed a lump of scar tissue underneath the excision. And the ends of the incision line are very firm/hardened and protrude from my face to the point where I can't leave the house! 1 surgeon I saw said that scar tissue can form after surgery and then just dissolve. Is that true? Could this hardness (it is NOT swelling) just go away? I can't wait more than 1 month; am considering cortison

Scar revision on the jawline

+1

You may choose to either follow the conservative advice of your surgeon or choose to address the scar more aggressively with cortisone injections and pressure.  Speak to your surgeon first. Both are suitable options. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Indurated scar

+1

In one month from when the surgical procedure was done, I would massage the scar with a moisturzer to help the induration improve. I would do this twice a day for at least a month. If there is no improvement and the scar is red,raised and itchy then inquire about cortisone injections. I believe it will get better with masssage.

Vicki J. Levine, MD