Are Steriod Injections Worth the Travel?

I'm from Alabama. I got rhinoplasty performed in Flordia 2 & half months ago. My nose is still very swollen. My doc told me I can come back to Flordia & get steriod injections or I can go to a local doc. He advise me that he feels that he's a better doc than my local doc. But Florida is 14 hours away & I really don't want to travel that far for shots. But this is my face & money isn't an option. But I was thinking how hard could it be to perform shots. do u think the local doc could do the job?

Travel is worth assessment and injections

+1

After many facial type procedures, particularly facelift surgery, lumps and bumps and areas of bruising can be somewhat aesthetically unacceptable, particularly in the early postoperative period. This also occurs in the nasal region as well. Steroid injections are quite beneficial when utilized in a judicious and expert manner. Many plastic surgeons will utilize steroids in small doses, utilizing a small 30-gauge needle to improve the contour of areas that are still healing. There is a small risk with this endeavor, but generally speaking it is quite safe in expert hands. I personally perform thousands of injections with essentially no untoward effects. But nonetheless there is more to assessment of the areas that comes with a doctor visit, so traveling is worth it in regards to assessment of the areas of healing, as well as the need for injections. So often I will strongly urge my patients to follow-up even if it does mean a several hour journey. Essentially it is not just for an injection, it is also for assessment and for understanding of where we stand on the healing process and the need for revision which occurs on an infrequent basis.

Steroid Injections after Rhinoplasty

+1

I strongly suggest you consult with your rhinoplasty surgeon for post-operative care. He/she knows exactly what one during the operation and will quickly determine what is best for you at this time.

Steroids after rhinoplasty

+1

Steroids, though, they can reduce swleling dramatically, are not without complications. They can cause local irritation of the skin, and blanching of the skin, as well as fat necrosis resulting in dimpling, which can be a signifiant problem on the nose. 

I would not inject another doctors rhinoplasty--I just wouldn't feel comfortable noting the risk of complications I have mentioned, and as I agree with most of the other doctors in this entry that follow-up with your primary Plastic Surgeon is important.

Ussually time,  patience, massage, and reassurance are better than steroids in most cases, in my personal view.

Srdjan Ostric, MD

Steroids and Rhinoplasty

+1
Follow up with your original plastic surgeon is important.  If anything needs to be addressed, he is the most capable and responsible to address it.  We have given steroids often in the past following rhinoplasty.  It is less of a common practice today.  I would return to the original doc at your convenience just to maintain adequate follow up.  You will likely do well even without steroids.

Jason R. Hess, MD

Steroids after Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

I would definitely visit your PS in Florida. He/she knows exactly what was done and what has to be done to help your swelling. Kenelog (steroid) injections definately help with the swelling, scar formation and healing and can have a tremendous impact on the outcome of your tip. So go ahead and travel the extra miles to see your PS.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Steriod injection is abad idea

+1

If your have swelling from rhinoplasty, steroids will not help. Steroids used for the scar tissue and not swelling. The other concern is the long term effect of the steroids on the local tissue like thinning out the skin and depression. Please see your plastic surgeon in Florida but no steroids..

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon