Will a Steroid Injection Help With Acne Scars On Chin?

I have old acne scarring on my chin in the form of tiny bumps. They are old(10 years or more)and of course no longer filled with puss, just a build up of tissue. I no longer experience much acne but am left with these horrible bumps. Will a steriod injection help with these being that there is no actual puss inside? I am not expecting a miracle with all of the bumps but I would like to see some of the larger ones go away.

Steroid injections for acne scar bumps

+1

Steroid injections for acne scar bumps could help decrease the size of the lumps. This would be a great way to start your treatment. You might need excisions though to help it further then I would do co2 laser resurfacing for a more polished result at the very end.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Steroid Injection and/or Fractional C02 for Acne Scars

+1

Steroid injections are good for improving nodular or raised scars, however you have to be careful because too much of any steroid can cause atrophy to the surrounding tissue.  Consider a resurfacing technique such as the Fraxel laser or Fractionated CO2.

Timothy Jochen, MD
Palm Springs Dermatologic Surgeon

Steroid injection for acne scars?

+1

I agree with others who responded.  If the scars are raised, then steroid injections may be of benefit.  For depressed scars, the treatment is different.  While there are no miracle cures out there, there is help for your problem.  Good luck!

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Will steroid injections help with scars on the chin?

+1

From your description it sounds like the lesions on the chin are either scars or quiescent cysts left after acne breakouts.  Intralesional steroids should help reduce the size of hypertrophic scars.  They will also help reduce the size of cysts if they are inflamed.  When the cysts are not inflamed the efficacy of intralesional steroids is small.  I recommend a consultation with a board certified dermatologist for a proper diagnosis and treatment.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

If the scars are raised, thick and lumpy, the steroid injection may help.

+1

If the scars are raised, thick and lumpy, the steroid injection may help.  If the scars are rolling, depressed or pitted, I recommend extensive Subcision and Fraxel Repair Laser.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon