Steri-strips... Should they be pulled? Or changed? (photo)

8days post TTop, today got the dressing changed. My ques is abt the "steri-tapes" which r there under my bandaid. Today nurse wanted to REMOVE the steri-strips, clean incision & put new knes again. But i read abt steri-strips that they need no removal as they fall off on their own. So i stopped her, she only changed the dressing. Now m worried if not letting her remove my steri-strips & clean the wound was a gud idea! I hope i dont get any infection in it, its healing well sofar.

Steri strips after tummy tuck

+2
No need to worry. Leaving the steri strips until they start to unravel and come off on their own is fine. It would have been just a fine to remove them and have new ones replaced. I would suggest returning to your surgeon to have them removed if you are seeing any drainage from the incision under the strips. Otherwise you should be fine, especially if the strips are dry and the adjacent skin looks normal and healthy. 

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Whom to trust - your doctor or the internet???

+1
I am surprised that you prevented a doctor's nurse from doing what they do in their practice, the same practice you chose to do your surgery, and let the internet tell you what to do. Aren't you a little surprised at this too??

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Steri-strips... Should they be pulled? Or changed?

+1
There is no correct answer to this.

Personally, I usually prefer to let them fall off on their own, or at least wait until that process has started.  But each surgeon has his or her own routine and my advice to you would be to follow the advice of your surgeon.  The only question then is whether the surgeon's nurse is doing what the surgeon would want - and, depending on how you feel about that person, I would say that that is overwhelmingly likely to be the case.

If there are any questions ask to speak to the surgeon. 

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Incision care after tummy tuck

+1
Everything looks just fine.  Follow up with your plastic surgeon and stay the course with postoperative care instructions.

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

+1
Yes return to have the usual care that medical provider offers. Why interfere is beyond me? She most likely has done a few 100's of these post op care events vs yours is your first. Al ALWAYS go with experience.... 

Steri Strips after Tummy Tuck

+1
There are a thousand different ways to dress wounds and no one correct one.  I would almost always recommend following the recommendations of your surgeon who has the benefit of seeing your incision and knowing the intricate details of your surgery.
Dr. Pyle

Jeremy Pyle, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

+1
Many times surgeons will want to replace soiled steri strips. This is a way of monitoring the healing , and taking a look at the wound.  The most important thing, is to follow your surgeon's instructions for a complete recovery.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

+1
Thank you for the question and picture. There are a variety of different ways to handle incision line care after tummy tuck surgery. One way is not necessarily better than the other. For your own peace of mind, I would suggest that you call your plastic surgeon's office and seek their guidance. Having the steri strips in place a few additional days will not  lead to an infection.  Best wishes.