Can I Take the Steri Strips off Around the Areola Now?

I had a lollipop lift after explants 3 weeks and 2 days ago. The steri strips underneath the breast have mostly peeled off but the ones around the areola and still on there tightly and to take them off will involve a bit of pulling the skin. Shouldn't the wounds be healed by now? I would like to take off the steri strips so that I can put vitamin E cream on the scars. Is this advisable or should I wait until they come off on their own like my surgeons nurse says?

Ask Your Surgeon About Removing Steri-strips

+2

I sometimes ask my patients to leave their steri=strips in place fpr as long as 4 weeks.  I agree that you should ask your surgeon whether he/she is comfortable with you removing them at this point as you and he/she both have vested interest in you obtaining the best result possible.

How long should steri strips remain on after mastopexy?

+1

You should and need to contact your operating plastic surgeon for instructions regarding the steri strips. As you can see by reading the recommendations, there is a considerable variability of opinion which doesn't mean any one approach is necessarily better than another. Find out what YOUR plastic surgeon suggests and follow that routine.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

RE: Can I Take the Steri Strips off Around the Areola Now?

+1

Hi acup33,

It is best to follow the instructions as directed by your plastic surgeon. The steri strips are helping your sutures repair the wounds. Taking them off too early or improperly may increase the risk for more scarring. If you are concerned that the steri strips have been in place too long, a call to your plastic surgeon would be recommended, on how to proceed with removal of the steri strips.

To clarify, I am a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in cosmetic breast augmentation, including all newer aspects of the short scar procedures. I'm also a proud member of both the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) and the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (ASAPS). I am a board certified with the American Board of Plastic Surgery. I am also an active member of the American College of Surgeons.
I believe that each patient needs to be treated as an individual and we focus on listening. Obviously, I would need to examine you and help you to decide which surgical or non-surgical options are available in your particular case.
If you have any further questions, please feel free to call us at 847.696.9900 for a private consultation. We would also be happy to mail you some additional information and brochures. Thanks for your question. Have a great day!

Best regards,
Dr. Speron

Sam Speron, MD

Steri-strips and brest lift suture lines.

+1

Each plastic surgeon has a different protocol on how to handle the suture lines.

In order to minimize scar visibility I recommend to my patients to leave the steri strips on  for as long as they can and even up to one year,provided they tolerate it well  without irritation nor excoriation of the skin.

I advise to change the steris after they take their shower.

If the steri strips cause irritation there are other alternatives  such as creams .

Erel Laufer, MD

Steri-strips and incisions

+1

You should ask your doctor about this because each doctor may  have a little different philosophy about how they want to treat the scars.

Breast Implants and Healing

+1

I would suggest that your following your Surgeon's instructions. If they have not fallen off by week 4, give your Nurse a call and ask if you can gently roll off the bandages.  As Surgeon's we place rules in place for a reason. It's in your best interest to follow them. Best wishes!

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Steri-strips

+1

It would be best to consult with your operating surgeon first, however, it should be fine to remove these at this point in time.

Marc Schneider, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon