What Steps Should I Take While Acne Scar is Healing?

I had a pimple on my nose that would not heal until I removed the small hard, deep core. It is starting to heal now but is still not "dry" I will be left with a scar between an icepick & box car. No dermatologist can see me for a month. I'm taking naproxin in an attempt to reduce inflammation, keeping it moist, and firmly bandaging at night. What further steps can I take to minimize scarring? Should I stop anything I am currently doing? Thank you.

Healing from acne

+2

Advice that I give to my patients are to treat their pimples gently and not to pick.  It can be very hard to resist the temptation to pick at a pimple but typically that only makes it worse.  I prefer Aquaphor Healing Ointment for any scabbed areas.  An oral antibiotic can help a large pimple settle down by treating any infection and to reduce inflammation.  An injection of low strength Kenalog (a type of cortisone) can be dramatically helpful to settle down a large pimple.   

Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Minimize scarring after pimple. I would consider laser resurfacing care.

+1

You should keep that area covered with a light coat of vaseline. This could lead to more breakouts if you apply too liberally. It should really just be on the area of injury.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon