Step off Deformity? (photo)

The first picture is one week post op. Second picture is 4 weeks post op. Not a lot of change. At times it looks as if it is getting worse. How can this be resolved? I really don't want to undergo surgery again and only did so the first time as I had fractured my nose and it was crooked (also compromised breathing). It still is crooked and now I have this. Thank you.

Step off Deformity?

+1

It is still too early to determine much.  Preoperative photos would be helpful.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Wait a Bit Longer After Your Rhinoplasty

+1

First of all, it is still too early to have an accurate sense about the ultimate result. Be patient. Secondly, it's hard to give advice without knowing exactly what was done. If you had a full rhinoplasty done, it will be a good 6 months to see the end result. If, on the other hand, you had a partial rhinoplasty (open reduction of a nasal fracture and a septoplasty) that was done only to straighten your nose and improve your breathing, you may be looking at a result that will not be quite as good as you hope. Most plastic surgery is about expectations- doing as much as needs to be done to get the desired result- no more and no less. Most of the unhappy patients I see after facial plastic surgery procedures either had too little or too much done. In any case, give it some time. Even if something more needs to be done, you don't want to do anything for at least 6 months.

Michael R. Menachof, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and revision

+1

At four weeks, mnsot likley you still have a lot of swelling in the nose. Give it at least 6 months or longer to see the final result.

Too early to tell

+1

At this stage, it is too early to tell what the structure of your nose will look like long term.  If some of the residual crookedness is from the bone not being perfectly aligned, it is possible that digital pushing exercises could help as the bone is healing.  I would consult with your surgeon about this possibility and about options in general.  Overall, I find it is often necessary to work on both the bony and cartilaginous elements of a nose to go from crooked to straight.  The link is to a presentation on the crooked nose I created previously.

David W. Kim, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon