can steam bath and sauna damage the effects of botox?

Two of my dermatologists say that steam bath and sauna can damage the effect of botox, while the 3rd derma said that there's no truth to that. Kindly enlighten me. thanks - Hearty

Steam Baths/Sauna will make the injection sites slightly red the day of the injections.

+2

Heat from the steam baths/ sauna will make the injections sites slightly red or inflamed the day of the shots but nothing the following day or later and won't affect the results of the botox or Dysport.  If you had the botox shots a few days previous then you have no worries.

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and steam baths and saunas

+1

I generally advise patients after their Botox to avoid alcohol, aspirin and ibuprofen for 24hrs, as well as steam rooms, saunas and jacuzzis, for the main reason that I want to minimize the risk of swelling and bruising. The heat will not damage the Botox itself. Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Steam bath or sauna after Botox Cosmetic should not affect results

+1

Hi hearty in Philippines,

Sauna or steam baths should not affect results of Botox Cosmetic for facial wrinkles. The most important thing to consider is to avoid rubbing treated areas for the first 24 hours after treatment. Most plastic surgeons, dermatologist, and Botox specialist would recommend, however, to avoid the sauna the first 24 hours after treatment. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Steam and Sauna after Botox

+1

After the first 24 hours, steam and sauna will not interfer with the effects of Botox. I'm being conservative because I've never heard that heat will affect Botox at any time after injection. 

Saunas Affecting Botox

+1

My vote is that there is no effect from steam baths or saunas on your Botox treatments. Rumors start in mysterious ways and, when they circulate widely enough, they seem to almost become fact! Like the story about the poodle that exploded in the microwave oven.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Is It Normal to Feel the Edge of the Implant?

+1

My vote is no effect. As your survey continues we will see the final results after you reach 20 posters. 

Botox and sauna or steam

+1

Once Botox has set within a few hours, it is probably OK to take  sauna or steam.  I would wait at least 24 hours just to be safe.

Neither steam nor saunas have any effect on the longevity of botox.

+1

Neither steam nor saunas have any effect on the longevity of botox. Once the botox blocks the nerve plate in the muscle it is inactive for about 3 motnhs or longer.

Edward Lack, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

No effect!

+1

Steam, sauna will not have any effect on your Botox. Frankly, I am always curious how these myths become folklore. I am embarrassed that 2 dermatologists gave you such incorrect advice.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Botox results should not be effected

+1
Botox won't be effected by a hot steam bath or sauna. I think the logic behind it is that Botox is supposed to be refrigerated until used, and therefore if it gets hot, it won't work. Well once Botox is injected, it becomes body temperature or 98.6 degrees, and yet it works just fine. Don't worry about a sauna, steam bath, or hot tub, it won't effect your Botox.
Andrew C. Campbell, M.D.
Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon