Will I Be Able to Stay the Same Bust Size After Double Mastectomy?

Im a 36E/F and would like to stay close to my same size. Im 32 and used to having large breasts as well as getting properly sized and fitted.I don't have any problems with pain or finding the correct lingerie. How realistic is it for me to do this? I will be having radiation after surgery as well. Can I stay large without looking totally fake? Im 5'8" so my bust doesn't look and as large as it is. What's a realistic expectation for me?

Breast Reconstruction after mastectomy

+1

Breasts can successfully be rebuilt after mastectomy either with breast implants or your own tissue.  Your plastic surgeon will be able to advise you on what the best choice will be for you.

Generally speaking a size E/F cup is not attainable with reconstruction.  Breast implants only come so big (800 cc) and your body can only supply so much tissue, perhaps a combination of implant and your own tissue might give you the size you desire.

Good Luck!

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Double mastectomy reconstruction

+1

Not likely.  The short answer is that it is difficult to make such large breasts either with implants or even with your own tissue (this will depend on your health and body shape).  Implants are only made up to a certain size and it seems unlikely that they will be large enough to compensate for the lost tissue after mastectomy because typically not only breast tissue is removed, but also some of the surrounding fat. 

The variables include how much tissue is removed, how your body is shaped, your health, and your postoperative course and your surgeon's recommendations.  It isn't impossible, but it is likely to be difficult.

The good news (if double mastectomy could ever be considered good) is that because you are having both breasts removed, you have a much better chance of being symmetrical (even on both sides).  

Good luck with your choices!

Roxanne Sylora, MD

Double mastectomy and breast size

+1

It sounds like you have very large breasts.  Implants only go up to 800 cc. If the weight of the specimen is more than 800 cc's then your breasts will not be the same volume as before. If autologous tissue is used( i.e. using the stomach tissue) it might.

Mastectomy reconstruction

+1

There are a lot of things we would need to go over once you have been examined.  It is hard to give an answer with out actually seeing you.  Following a mastectomy it is not advisable to have large breasts that are all implants.  How large is too large? ... no one knows for sure.  Implants put stress and strain on the tissues and may create an unstable situation.  You need to listen to your plastic surgeon so you do not create problems for yourself.  The plastic surgeon will give the best result possible.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Double mastectomy

+1

First I am very sorry to hear that you have to undergo mastectomies with radiation. This means your breast cancer will need some aggressive treatment.  Your first concern has to be the successful treatment  of the breast cancer.

Your Plastic Surgeon will try to bring back your appearance  (Size and shape) as close as possible.  Remember a breast reconstruction tries but is not always successful in bringing back your previous appearance. Radiation adds to the problem.

It is very important that you find a Plastic Surgeon well trained in the various ways to reconstruct breasts. You will have to be very comfortable with his personality, his office staff as you will spend considerable time with them. Also he should have a good working relationship with your Surgeon performing the mastectomies.

Guido P. Gutter MD
Evansville Plastic Surgeon