Do I Need Someone to Stay with Me After Eyelid Surgery? I'm 70 and Live Alone.

live a lone and in my 70's and need upper eyelid surgery to improve vision.

Do I need help after my eyelid surgery?

+2
Yes, any time a patient undergoes surgery for the eyes, or any procedure that requires anesthesia ( whether it be general anesthesia or "twilight" sedation anesthesia), they need to have a responsible adult with them to take them home after surgery and care for them overnight.  You cannot drive home or even take a cab by yourself after anesthesia.  Every one needs someone with them in the event of an unlikely emergency.

Caregiver Required for 24 Hours Following Surgery

+1

Due to the sedation and medication administered to surgery patients, I require all my patients to have a responsible adult with them for at least 24 hours following surgery. Patients find it extremely useful (if not necessary) to have someone else assist them with daily activities such as giving medications and providing transportation to follow-up appointment as they are recovering. If finding someone to take care of you is difficult, ask your surgeon about the availability of after care facilities or in-home care.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Caregiver required for first 24 hours after eyelid surgery

+1

Yes.  It is important to have someone with you the first night after a surgery.  You cannot drive home after anesthesia for the upper blepharoplasty and in the event you need to get back to the office for any type of surgically related emergencies it is important to have a caretaker.

Post-op aftercare

+1

All plastic surgery patients should have a responsible adult with them for at least 24 hours following surgery.  If a patient does not have a caregiver sometimes plastic surgical offices can provide a private-duty type nurse or other caregiver for this critical and important time period. 

Joseph O'Connell, MD
Westport Plastic Surgeon

Help after surgery

+1

All patients who undergo cosmetic surgery of any type should really have a responsible adult with them for at least 24 hours after surgery. An alternative is to see if a plastic surgery aftercare facility is avaiable or look for a plastic surgeon like myself who operates in the hospital setting and can just admit you overnight. Regardless of what arrangements you make you will be glad you made them. Best of luck! Dr Kerr

Mahlon Kerr, MD, FACS

Assistance after blepharoplasty surgery

+1

It would be best for you to have someone with you for the first few days. After surgery, your eyes may be swollen and ointment may be placed in the eyes, making it difficult to see.  It would be safest to have a little help with your daily activities, to assist you with your medications and to provide the transportation needed to your post operative appointments.

George John Alexander, MD, FACS

+1

I think that due to the number of medications that can be given during the surgical procedure, it is always best to have someone with you the day of surgery. If you are trying to get up and become dizzy, you might fall and hurt yourself.

Julio Garcia, MD

Post-op care after blepharoplasty

+1

I only allow patients to leave my office surgical facility with a chaperone either a family member, friend, or nurse,  It is always a good idea to have someone with you the first night or two to at ten to your needs.

Home after eyelid surgery

+1

I would definitely suggest having someone stay with you for at least a couple of days after your blepharoplasty in case your eyelids swell and the paid medications may make you a little unstable on your feet.

Jacob Freiman, MD, FACS
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Better safe than sorry.

+1

Have patients been able to get away without any help the night of surgery? Yes. Is it a good idea? ABSOLUTELY NOT. You have no doubt heard the saying :

You have to prepare for the worst, and hope for the best.

The worst case scenario is bleeding around the eyelids/eye with possible loss of vision. Is that scenario something you want to face alone? NO. Don't want to scare you, but this is an elective procedure and safety is paramount.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon