I Am a 44 Yr Old Women my Hair Has Been Thinning for About 7yrs. I Have Been Using Womens Rogaine for the Past 3yrs?

Does rogaine stop working after a while. I'm starting to see more hair loss then before as if the product has stopped working for me. what are the best products to use for hereditary thinning hair? shampoos etc...tks.

Women's Hair Loss. more & more thinning

+1
The most likely reason for a woman to see further hair loss is not that the minoxidil has stopped working but rather the genetic hair loss has progressed. 

Minoxidil helps slow down hair loss but in some women it does not stop it. It simply slows down the rate of progression.

5 % is not better than 2 %. While it's true that it's better for men to use the 5 % than the 2 %, that's simply not true for women. All clinical trials to date suggest they are equivalent. However, the benefit of the 5 % is that the foam can be used once daily to give the same effect as the liquid 2 % twice daily. 

5 % is not better than 2 %.

In terms of effectiveness, other treatments for genetic hair loss include:

1) Spironolactone (and other hormone blocking pills)
2) Low level laser therapy (LLLT)
3) Hair transplantation
4) Platelet rich plasma

Not all women are candidates for hair transplantation but an experience hair transplant physician who treats alot of women can tell you if you are. 

It's also critically important for anyone with "ongoing" hair loss to make sure that there isn't another hair loss condition that has cropped up. Blood tests for thyroid, iron, and hemoglobin (and possibly vitamin D, hormones) are essential for any woman with hair loss.

Toronto Dermatologist

Rogaine is not working anymore.

+1

The hair loss gene is very strong.

We find it very effective to add lasers (Luce) with the Rogaine if you feel like you are going backwards.

It takes about 4 months of use before you start seeing the benefits of lasers.

Check with your local Doc that is familiar with hair loss for assistance.

More and more Docs are seeing the benefit of lasers. 

Jon E. Mendelsohn, MD
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rogaine for Women's Hair Loss

+1

I would recommend you switch from rogaine for women to rogaine for men.  Rogaine for women is only 2 1/2 % monoxidyl while men's is 5% monoxidyl.  You need to be careful when using 5% to wash your hands thoroughly to avoid facial hair growth.  However the 5% is more effective. 

Jack Fisher, MD

Rogaine for Women's Hair Loss

+1

The effectiveness of Rogaine does begin to subside after so many years of use. Have you tried using the stronger formula of 5% minoxidil? There is only so much that medications, creams, shampoos, etc. can do when genetic baldness is involved. Keep in mind, hair transplantation is also an option for women, and it produces permanent results.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon