I Started Hair Removal Sessions and I Recently Found out I'm Pregnet. Can I Continue?

i'm only doing hair removal on my face,now that i'm pregnet should i stop my sessions?

Laser Hair Removal in Pregnancy

+2

Laser Hair removal uses concentrated infra-red light to remove unwanted hair.  This type of light energy is non-ionizing (not cancer causing) and only penetrates 4-5 milimeters into the skin at most--- so there are no DIRECT laser effects during pregnancy.  My only concerns are secondary effects-- could any pain induce a stress response that might be harmful during preganancy?  If you had an adverse reaction (hives, blister and infections) would that impose a risk to the fetus?  Also, it has not been studied, or FDA approved, for use in pregnancy.  I definitely would not use any topical anesthetics for treatments while pregnant.

Becaus as physicians our first duty is to "do no harm", I generally recommend delaying laser hair treatments until after pregnancy-- and this is a general rule in the treatment of pregnant women for medicine in general.

Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser Hair Removal During Pregnancy

+1

There are many arguments for and against the use of lasers during pregnancy. However, the safety of lasers during this time has not been confirmed by research. 

It is highly advised to wait until after your pregnancy. This would reduce possible risk factors down to zero.

Hair removal through conventional means like waxing or plucking would be the safest solution in the meantime. Of course these practices can be done at home or with the help of a beauty professional. 

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser hair removal during pregnancy

+1

Lasers create a beam of highly concentrated light that penetrates into the skin where it delivers a controlled amount of therapeutic heat. This light energy is absorbed by the pigment located in the hair follicles. The laser pulses for a fraction of a second, just long enough to destroy numerous follicles at a time and leaves the surrounding skin unaffected. There should be no risks of adverse effects of laser hair removal during pregnancy, especially on the face.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon