Where Do I Start The Process Of A Mommy Makeover?

OverWhelmed! I have been thinking about a mommy makeover for years well now with finances in order and with this years income tax :) I shall get the body I worked so hard for... So... where do I start? research the procedures first? try and find a DR.? ( I don't physically have the money yet) I've read that although money is hard to come by we shouldn't use it as a deciding factor, but I will be paying cash. so the total I have is the total I got.. anything would helpful

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

How do I begin the process of a mummy makeover.

+1

This is a great question because there are so many people like yourself who are confused or share the same concerns. Mommy makeover can involve a number of procedures so it can be very difficult to research.

Generally speaking mommy makeover mainly involves enhancement of the abdomen and breasts after childbearing.  Sometimes it can include liposuction or other procedures as well.  The confusing part is compounded by the fact breast enhancement can involve lift, augmentation, or even both.  It's just a huge amount of information.

My best advice to you would be to seek out a board certified plastic surgeon in your area.  You can find a list of board certified plastic surgeons at the website for the American Society of plastic surgery.

In my own practice I try to help my patients sort out their options and give them my recommendation as to which procedure or procedures will try to achieve the goals that they're looking for.

We can then set up a plan and a wish list that hopefully we can accomplish together.

A forum like this is a great place to get some information as well, but beware that the Internet is a slightly dangerous place and a lot of confusing information is disseminated. My job, the job of any board certified plastic surgeon is to help sort through that information.

You may wish to visit a few different plastic surgeons and get recommendations from friends or colleagues.  Sometimes plastic surgeons have different ways to approach problems and you have to find a surgeon and the approach at your most comfortable with.

Best wishes as you begin your journey.  Please use RealSelf again because you'll think of a number of questions that hopefully we can all help to answer along the way.

Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover

+3

It looks like you are quite fit.  An abdominoplasty will remove all the excess skin and strectch marks from your midsection.  You may or may not want to add volume to your breasts (can't tell in the picture), either with or without an skin tailoring procedure (mastopexy; breast lift). 

The contours of your hip/lateral thigh areas could be adjusted with liposuction.

Embarking on mommy make-over surgery

+3

It is exciting that you are now at a point that you can start the process for researching mommy make-over surgery. First and foremost, you must choose a surgeon who is board certified in plastic surgery. The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) and the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) are excellent resources for choosing a qualified plastic surgeon in your area. Website research can be helpful but must be done in conjunction with choosing a qualified, board certified plastic surgeon. Take some time in thinking about what your goals for mommy make-over are, such as larger breasts, perkier breasts, flat tummy, less fullness in the  hip or thigh region etc. Once you do this, you are better able to convey your goals to your plastic surgeon. Finally, choose 2 or 3 surgeons who meet your criteria, meet with them and then you will be much better prepared to choose the best surgeon for you! Interact with the staff members at each plastic surgeon. You will have a lot of contact with these people during your perioperative course.

Web reference: http://gayosoplasticsurgery.com/

Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

Planning for Mommy Makeover Surgery

+1

I often advise those seeking plastic surgery to start by researching the procedure(s) they’re interested in. However, plastic surgery research can be dangerous due to invalid information on the internet, so I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgeons’ website or the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons’ website to ensure you’re receiving accurate information. These websites also have tools to help you find a board certified plastic surgeon in your area. At that point, I would suggest researching a few plastic surgeons you might be interested in by reviewing their websites, credentials, patient testimonials, and before and after photos. Then, you can start scheduling consultations to learn more about pricing and to determine whether or not you would be comfortable with that particular surgeon performing your procedure.

The cost of plastic surgery is a common concern among patients, but as you stated it should not be a deciding factor. Unfortunately, you often get what you pay for with plastic surgery. There are many variables that go into the cost of plastic surgery such as anesthesia costs, surgical fees, hospital fees, etc., which are necessary for patient safety. Do your research, and only go to a board certified plastic surgeon even if that means waiting a little while longer.

Research your Mommy Makeover

+1

Research. The American Society of Plastic Surgeons is the best place to start this research. Face it the internet is full of misleading and even false information about procedures, results and doctors.The ASPS website has accurate information about a mommy makeover, the expectations/limitations as well as lists of board certified plastic surgeons in your area. You can also check with your state medical board to make sure the doctor you choose is in good standing and make sure they are associated with a good hospital in your area. These things can be done easily online. After that you can make an appointment with the doctor you choose. It is best to make sure the doctor does the consultation himself so he can answer all your questions.

Best sequence for ANY aesthetic procedure

+1

Hi there-

This is an excellent question that all aesthetic patients should ask and answer before proceeding...

Here is the best sequence in order to maximize your safety and happiness:

1. Think carefully and honestly about the parts of your body that are a concern to you now
  2. Be honest with yourself about how you got to this appearance- this will affect your options and your expectations of the outcome
  3. Learn about the options for improvement of these areas (sites like this one are great resources) WITHOUT making up your mind what it is you think you need.
  4. This (number 3 above) is very important, as it may be that you think (after reading and learning) that you need a certain procedure, but a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon (after examining you and learning about your goals) actually recommends something else.
  5. In other words, having some knowledge before visiting surgeons is good- but being rigidly committed to the procedure you think you want before meeting your surgeon does not help you, and may actually compromise your safety and happiness. Keep your mind open and you will benefit from the knowledge and experience of the surgeon you choose.
  6. Research a few surgeons (this is a whole other topic, about which you can read more below)

If you choose your surgeon carefully, and your goals are reasonable, you (like almost all Mommy Makeover patients) should be very happy!

Web reference: http://orlandoplasticsurgery.blogspot.com/2009/11/choosing-plastic-surgeon-part-2.html#699

Mommy Makeover Begins With Your Consultation

+1

You've already started!

Your research here on RealSelf is another step forward.

Next, consult with at least one Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon, even better if you can determine one who has a good reputation and experience with Mommy Makeover.

You should expect to have a careful assessment of your needs, including your stated goals for the procedures and a physical examination, leading your surgeon's recommendation for your specific situation.  There may be some alternatives offered for your consideration. Expect assistance from your surgeon and his/her staff in sorting through those alternatives.

You will also receive a cost estimate for the plan recommended by your surgeon. It is important that you be forthright in discussing your budget with the surgeon and staff so the economics can be part of the consideration, and whether compromises are required or appropriate. While economics are important, don't choose your surgeon based on the lowest estimate!

Armed with this information, you will be in a better position to decide if and when you want to proceed with a Mommy Makeover.

Good luck!

Web reference: http://www.drzwiebel.com

Denver Plastic Surgeon

How to get started if you're considering a Mommy Makoever

+1

My patients who decided to get a Mommy Makeover (breast lift with/without implants and a tummy tuck) usually started on the internet.  Look at some before and after photographs of the procedures done by board certified plastic surgeons.  Then, interview with several of them to get an idea of who you feel most comfortable with and who you would like to do your surgery.  Many of my patients say they chose my practice because they got a sense that they would be treated like family.  So, choosing a plastic surgeon based upon his/her pictures is one thing, but make sure you get a sense that the surgeon and his staff will take care of you AFTER surgery, and not just BEFORE!  Good luck!

Dr. Schreiber

Web reference: http://marylandcosmeticsurgeryinc.com/breast-3/breast-augmentation/

+1

I think it is hard to search for information until you know the exact procedures you will be having during your particular Mommy Makeover. I think choosing a surgeon for a consultation is the best place to start and then you can research the procedures. Sometimes a second opinion can also help focus your needs and desires.

Starting point

+1

A great starting point to find a board certified plastic surgeon in your area is to visit the website for the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.  I've placed the link for you below.  Best of luck!

Web reference: http://www.plasticsurgery.org