Should I Start an Intense Workout Plan Before Having a Tummy Tuck?

I am 25 years old. I have three kids and they left me with a sagging wrinkled tummy, a scarred belly button and sagging breasts. I am planning to have a tummy tuck, breast lift and implants in four months. My husband is starting P90x extreme home fitness and wants me to do it with him. I want to but I am worried that this will affect my surgery plans. Should I wait or is it better to start this before the surgery to get the best results?

Muscle strengthening prior to tummy tuck

+1

Being in excellent shape is never bad for surgery and could expedite your healing process. I would avoid abdominal crunches and focus on a core strengthening regimen that will enhance the results of your procedure rather than oppose the sutureapproxiamtion.

Mommy make-over excercise regime

+1

You can excercise anytime and it will not affect your surgery or its results. If anything, it will help. You should not have to do sit-ups after a tummy tuck and I let my patients begin their work-outs within three weeks of these procedures.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Activity limitations after tummy tuck

+1

A healthy/balanced diet and exercise are always encouraged.  However, most plastic surgeons will instruct no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 5-6 weeks after tummy tuck surgery.  You need to give time for your incisions to heal.  After this healing time period, you can resume activity as tolerated slowly.  Please talk to your surgeon about his/her specific recommendations.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Exercise before surgery

+1

Yes, it is best for you to be in the best shape possible prior to surgery.  So, I would encourage you to do whatever you can prior to surgery.  After surgery, you may need to take a few weeks off of exercise to allow for healing.  However, the time off will be well worth the positive changes from surgery.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD