Can I Just Start with Cosmelan 2 at Home?

I did Cosmelan about 5 years ago with great results. However, I moved to a new state and cannot find a doctor that carries it. Can I do Cosmelan 2 at home without the mask? I know it's available online to purchase. I'm so desperate. I need something to help me get rid of this horrible discoloration.

Necessary to use all steps

+2

The short answer is "no". Even if you've already been treated previously, you won't get the same results by not being first treated with the Cosmelan Step 1 mask, then using the other products. While the Step 2 initiates the peeling portion, you won't have the necessary foundation for it to work properly. Some physicians may ship you the set to use yourself if you've been treated at their office before. Consider calling your prior physician to see if that's something he or she would be willing to do. But don't waste your money by buying just a portion of the necessary products.

Cosmelan 2 as a stand alone Treatment

+1

The CosmelanTreatment Mask is one of the most successful treatments for Melasma related pigmentation we offer at our practice. I would not feel comfortable
recommending just the maintenance cream as an equivalent alternative. The mask
gets deep into the dermas to help break up the melasma/pigment. Not starting
with this step will most likely result in an underwhelming result. The only other alternative I can think of would be a series of Salicylic Acid Peels from a Board Certified Dermatologist scheduled two weeks apart, followed by the use of the Cosmelan 2 nightly and sunblock everyday. This at least will get rid of some of the layers of pigment/melasma and help the Cosmelan 2 to absorb deeper into the skin.

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Cosmelan 2 without the mask? - Just not going to get the needed power

+1

You can use Cosmelan 2 without the mask, but that's like having chocolate milk without the chocolate - you'll be mssing the most important part of the recipe!

Cosmelan mask will contain various levels of hydroquinone plus some peeling agent. This is what preps your skin to

1. Jump start the process and give you some fast results
  2. Prep your skin to make best use of the home products

There will be a doctor within your horizon who has Cosmelan. You can contact the company, Mesoestetic, and get some physician information.

I think you'd be shortchanging yourself if you skipped the first and most important step.

Rebecca Fitzgerald, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologist