Is It Okay to Start Casual Walking in Approximate 3 Weeks After Tummy Tuck Surgery(least 20-30 Min Increments)?

Walking permitted immediately after abdominoplasty.

+2

The restrictions on activity after your operation should be obtained from your surgeon and your surgeon only. I permit my patients to walk immediately after the operation.

I have my patients walk the next day after surgery

+2

i encourage my patients to start walking the day of surgery. of course, i don't want them to over do it the first wk but 20 minutes is not much activity. certainly by 3 wks you should be able to do more than that, assuming you are not developing a seroma (internal fluid build up in the abdomen) 

david berman md

northern va, plastic surgeon

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Is It Okay to Start Casual Walking in Approximate 3 Weeks After Tummy Tuck

+2

I and I would say most surgeons would have patients start walking the day of surgery. Best advice is to call your surgeon for instructions. It is possible that the instructions were unclear, or that for some particular reason more rest was advised.

Walking after a tummy tuck

+2

You should actually begin walking the day or a tummy tuck. You can gradually work your way up to 20-30 minute intervals as the weeks go by. Early walking is important to help reduce the incidence of DVT (deep vein thrombosis) which is a blood clot in the legs. Discuss your activity protocol with your plastic surgeon for more specific instructions.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Walking is recommended

+1

Hello Lovingdunume,

After a standard Abdominoplasty Tummy Tuck procedure, patients are allowed to walk gently 3 to 4 hours after the procedure, as most of these procedures are performed in ambulatory facilities. The patients realize that they can indeed walk, although with some discomfort. Walking daily around the house or apartment is generally recommended, as complete bed rest is not advised; since activity decreases the risk of deep vein thrombosis (blood clots) in the legs. I recommend brisk walking for exercise at about 3 weeks after the procedure, and then gradually increasing in intensity.

Sit –ups and crunches are avoided for 3 to 4 months as there may be discomfort in the midline at the areas of muscle plication (tightening). In some instances where the diastasis (spreading ) of the rectus muscles was very wide , and I do an extensive tightening of the  muscle , as well as external oblique tightening, I advise the patient to wait for 6 months, to allow good scar tissue to form in the repaired muscles. Your surgeon will best advise you about exercise, based on degree of muscle reconstruction done, and an assessment of your progress during your post-operative visits.
I hope this answers some of your concerns. Norman G. Morrison, MD, FACS

Norman G. Morrison, MD, FACS