Starbursting 1 Month After Lasik

I had lasik done one month ago and still having starbursting. How long will it take to clear up? And what could be causing it?

Starbursting after LASIK

+2

Starbursting.....also called glare, haloes ghosting and many other terms, is one of the early and temporary side effects of LASIK. It is typically the result of mild swelling of the cornea and should resolve, as healing settles in, by about 3 months. Long ago, starbursting was a semi-permanent or permanent side effect of the use of older technology, so you may bump into blogs where pateints who had surgery in the mid 1990's are still noticing and complaining of glare. This should not be your scenario, as you were recently treated and the lasers are so improved now. So, 3 months is my time frame for this symptom to clear up. 

Baltimore Ophthalmologist

Visual disturbances after laser vision correction

+2

Starbursting is one of several visual disturbances that can occur following laser vision correction surgery (others include glare, halos, photosensitivity and others). There are numerous potential causes for these disturbances, but barring any obvious corneal or ocular surface pathology, they often decrease or go away completely within 6 months following surgery. Ocular surface dryness is a common cause, especially this soon after surgery. Since this is easily treated with eye drops you should rule that out as a possible cause. Flap microstriae and residual refractive error (astigmatism, myopia, hyperopia) are also common causes and these should be ruled out and/or treated by your surgeon.

Christopher Starr, MD
New York Ophthalmologist

Starburts after LASIK

+2

Early after LASIK, it is not unusual to experience some night vision issues.  Often, these issues resolve over time; however, not in all individuals. I would recommend that you speak with your eyeMD to determine whether you have a residual prescription, dryness, or swelling that could account for your symptoms.  IF these symptoms are preventing you from your work, additional treatments such as eyedrops or glasses for nighttime are possible.

Sandy Feldman, MD
San Diego Ophthalmologist

The healing process can take 3-6 months

+1

The healing process can take 3-6 months and longer in rare cases.  Use lubricating drops to speed recovery.

Christopher Coad, MD
New York Ophthalmologist