Are Staples Apropriate for Mid- Face Lift? (photo)

I just had an Endotine midface lift with lifting the corner of the eyes only by vertical excision of skin above the years just behind the hairline.I was told by the surgeon that the incisions would be about 1-2 inch on each side just above the years , inside the hair – basically invisible, but when I removed the bandages, I was surprised there where about 5 inch long at the hair line on each side and stapled with metal, not sutures.Are staples appropriate to be used in this case?

Staples for hairline incisions after midface lift

+3

Staples sound a bit coarse and even a bit crude, but for incisions in the hairline, they are optimal.  They provide excellent eversion and approximation without strangulating tissue and compromising the blood supply - meaning well-healed incisions without hair loss.  

Staples in the Hairline

+2

Staples are used by many surgeons for incisions that remain in the hairline.  Most surgeons will suture anything on the face and staple anything in the hair.

Skin Staples/Clips - Good Choice Within Hairline for Facelift, Brow Lift, Temple Lift, etc

+2
Skin Clips or staples are not only appropriate but preferred by many surgeons including myself within the hair portion of your scalp as your photos demonstrated. They have the following advantages - no hair shaving is required to prevent hair being trapped within sutures and the incision, easy removal, less damaging in many cases to the skin. 
Your surgeon made a good choice.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Staples are acceptable in the hairline but I don't use them.

+2

I don't like staples in elective aesthetic surgery cases.  They can leave blemishes that I dislike, even in the hairline.  Stapling can save time but not that much.  The patients pay a lot of money and precise suturing is an important detail for me.

Staples and Facelift Surgery

+2

I prefer not use staples during facelift surgery but staples in the hair bearing scalp is acceptable and used by some surgeons.  

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Is it common to use staples to close skin in the hair

+2

It is quite common to use staples to close incisions in hair bearing regions. Staples are often easier to remove and result in less crusting during the healing process than sutures do. The cosmetic outcome is usually very comparable between the two.

Todd C. Miller, MD

Are Staples Apropriate for Mid- Face Lift?

+2

It is not unusual to use staples for incision back in the hairline. I agree with my colleagues that incisions that sit just at or in front of the hairline are better closed with delicate sutures. However, your incision appears to be just behind the hairline and staples will likely result in a very nice scar which shouldn't be perceptible once healed. In brief, I don't think anything was done incorrectly. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

The use of staples for: midface lift, lite lift, lifestyle lift, mini lift

+2

the use of staples for: midface lift, lite lift, lifestyle lift, mini lift

• the is the surgeons choice and experience
  • clips within the hair are typical 
  • easier to clean,  less damaging to hair follicles

+2

Use of staples is a very personal decision of the surgeon. I prefer sutures but that is me. Best to discuss with your chosen surgeon the reason for staple use or non use. 

Staples are great when used properly

+2
Staples reapproximate wound edges without strangulating them (as can happen sometimes if sutures are tied too tight) and if they are removed within 5 days heal very nicely.  In our practice we often use staples for many different incisions and they heal without the hallmark staple scars because we remove them early.

Martin Jugenburg, MD