How Can I Tell if I Have a Staph Infection After a Tummy Tuck?

I had a tummy tuck and my drains were on my pubic area. I now have an infected area and is also red and swollen. I ran a fever for a week. Im on antibiotics will this kill the infection or will surgery be required??

See your ps

+1

signs of infection include: 1. pain, 2. redness, 3. possible pus drainage, 4. cultures that are positive for the organism, 5. fever/chills.  Best thing to do is be examined and followed up by your surgeon.

Infection after Tummy tuck

+1

I am happy that you have followed up with your plastic surgeon (since you are on antibiotics) but if you are not getting better after being on the antibiotics for a few days, I would recommend returning the the plastic surgeon's office for re-evaluation.  

Best Wishes!

Staph infection after tummy tuck?

+1
A frank infection would produce tenderness, swelling, redness, prurulent drainage and possibly a fever. To determine whether your symptoms are a staph infection, the plastic surgeon may have initially cultured the wound to determine which antibiotics are appropriate for coverage. It's impossible to determine from your post whether this will requirement drainage or can be treated by antibiotics but you should definitely continue to followup with your plastic surgeon.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Infection after tummy tuck

+1

Given that you are on antibiotics, you have been in touch with your PS.  However if your infection is not improving after a few days on antibiotics you she return to your PS and have the area examined.  Sometimes an abscess forms and needs to be surgically drained to allow the infection to resolve.

Delio Ortegon, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Infection after tummy tuck

+1

Signs of infection would include tenderness, swelling, purulent drainage and possible odor. A culture can be done by your plastic surgeon to identify an infection and determine the sensitivity to antibiotics.

Richard Linderman, MD