Staph Infection after Breast Augmentation?

I underwent Breast Augmentation a year ago. I was fine until i fell backwards while walking. My left breast swelled up, and it felt hot and painful. I went to the surgeon and he had to take the implant out to take a biopsy. He said it was staph infection. I don't understand, where could I have gotten it?

Infection after Implants Rare

+2

Sorry to hear of your injury.

Your description is suggestive of bleeding around the implant, from the fall.

It is possible for the hematoma (blood clot) to become infected.

Unfortunately, once an implant becomes infected, it must be removed.

Replacement should not be undertaken for at least 3 months after all signs of infection are clear.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Long standing infections

+2

You've asked a complicated question. Usually infections of breast implants show up immediately. A year is usually enough time for your body to heal the incisions and form scar tissue around the implants which protects them somewhat.

However, it is possible to have implants get infected at any time - especially if there have been other procedures performed (including piercing, dental work or other surgeries).
Some plastic surgeons will recommend their patients take antibiotics before any procedure for the first year to lower the risk of the implants getting infected.

The good news is with time your body should clear the infection and the implant (if you choose) should be able to be replaced.

Steven Williams, MD

Steven H. Williams, MD

Infection after breast augmentation

+1

Hard to know what happended.  The story you describe is rare as infections occur early.  It would be helpful to have seen your breast photo after the fall.  There is a possibilty, although rare, to seed the implant with bacteria after it enters your body.  This is the reasoning some plastic surgeons recommend antibiotics before dental procedures and the same reason patients with prosthetic valves take antibiotics before procedures.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Breast Infection

+1

Tough call....Staph comes in many forms (Aureus, Epidermidis, etc.) but are most commonly from a skin source. Staph can also live in one's nose...Bacteria live everywhere and many times right along with us, until an event occurs (as dramatic as falling and scraping/cutting your knee skin....or even as unassuming as brushing your teeth : YES, every time you brush your teeth, you shower your blood stream with bacteria!), the bacteria can cause an infection.

I suggest to all my patients after surgery to make sure they clean even the most superficial injury sufficiently to prevent infections from becoming over whelming.

I hope this helps!

Dr. C

John Philip Connors III, MD

Infections are uncommon after breast augmentation.

+1

Infections are uncommon after breast augmentation.  Most infections are detected in the first weeks or months after augmentation, only rarely is an infection identified later.

It is difficult to say why your infection occurred so late after the surgery.  It is possible that your fall had something to do with creating a small amount of bleeding in the tissue around the implant and that you had some bacteria in that blood. (It is not uncommon to have small amounts of bacteria in our blood from things like brushing our teeth, minor wounds etc which are usually cleared from our blood very efficiently by our immune systems.)

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Infections can occur at any time after breast augmentation

+1

Infection following breast augmentation is very rare. When infections do occur, they most commonly do so in the first two weeks after surgery. Delayed infections that occur, weeks, months or even years after surgery do occur, but are exceedingly rare. If you do suspect any type of breast infection after you have had breast augmentation, it needs to brought to your surgeon's attention immediately so that you can have the best chance of salvaging your implants.

Kevin Brenner, MD, FACS

Staph infection and breast implants

+1

This is a difficult question to answer in your situation. An infection of a breast implant a year after surgery is quite uncommon. The association with your fall is also unusual. When breast implant infections do occur, it is usually in the first few weeks after surgery. Once the capsule develops, the implant becomes essentially isolated from the body. It is possible to seed an implant through the bloodstream (for instance, after dental cleanings). If there was trauma to your breast from the fall, it is possible to have a cellulitis or infection within the soft tissue of the breast which could start from abrasions or a cut in the breast skin. However, this can often be treated with aggressive antibiotics without removing the implant. To answer your question, from the information provided it is very difficult to identify exactly how your implant became infected.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Infection after breast augmentation is rare.

+1

Infection after breast augmentation is rare.  Seeing on emerge one year after surgery is rarer than rare, although I have seen it myself.  Probably the breast cavity was seeded by bacteria in the blood that got there from a remote infection or from an even that can dump bacteria in the blood.  Removing the implant, allowing the inflammation to subside, and then replacing the implant in a few months is a ration treatment plan.

Infection after breast augmentation

+1

Although uncommon, nfection is one of the known risks after breast augmentation. This can lead to significant problems and may even lead to the loss of the breast implant or the future development of six scarring known as a capsular contracture. If the patient is concerned that they may have infection they are encouraged to immediately see their plastic surgeon. A board-certified plastic surgeon will use their experience and judgment to assess the breast and implant and help determine what is the best course of action.

To learn more about breast augmentation, see photos, and help you decide which one is best for you, please visit us at the link below:

Pat Pazmino, MD

Rapid swelling is more consistent with bleeding

+1

The story you tell makes me think of bleeding. Rapid swelling and pain after a fall is not the typical story for an infection. Your case sounds like an accident.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon