Staph Infection from Breast Surgery?

I had never had a staph infection in my life until last year, when I moved to Arizona. Since then I have had three. I'm worried that, given my history, I may develop a staph or MRSA-related infection when I get my breast augmentation done. What do you think?

Infection after breast implants?

+2

Have a check-up to see that you are well.  Diabetes check?  Collagen diseases?  Once it has been established that you are 100% healthy and a breast augmentation is safe, go for it.  Your risk of infection is no higher than the next person.  You staph cultures should be known to your breast surgeon so he can order proper antibiotics before and after surgery.  Possibly it may be advisable to pre culture the area about you breasts but this is a little far fetched.  You will be fine.  The risk of a breast infection after augmentation is 1/2%  I do think you should wait at lease 6 months after your last staph infection and have a 6 month clear infection free period.   Then go for if if all indicator are green.  My Best.

Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Have your doctor check to see if you are a staph carrier

+1

Your physician can check to see if you are actually carrying the bacteria in your system, including doing things such as nasal swabs. In addition, make sure that the procedure is being done at a facility that has a low infection rate. This information is available and your doctor should be able to give it to you. Thirdly, make sure your Dr. gives you antibiotics at the time of surgery and continues with antibiotics for a week postoperatively. When changing your dressings, wash your hands thoroughly to minimize bacterial contamination.

Joseph M. Perlman, MD

Infections after Breast Augmentation

+1

Infections are rare after Breast Augmentation. With your history of MRSA infections, you can see an infectious disease specialist and make sure that you are not a carrier of MRSA. Your bathroom at home should also be decomtaminated. Please discuss your history with your plastic surgeon because an infection of the implant is verty hard to treat and requires removal of the implant.

Good luck,

Leo Lapuerta MD FACS

Triple Board Certified Plastic SUrgeon

Leo Lapuerta, MD

MRSA and breast augmentation

+1

Breast augmentation is a clean procedure and the risk of infection is low.  You  may want to review your history with your doctor regarding the events surrounding your infections.

Breast Augmentation and Infection

+1

Infection risk is very low with Breast Augmentation. There is growing evidence that the things we do around the time of the operation, such as antibiotics, warming the patient, and other factors lower the risk.  There is a certain group of antibiotics that are particularly effective against MRSA, so notify your ABPS-certified surgeon if you have had a MRSA infection so that he or she can select the right antibiotics at the time of surgery. 

Jeff Scott, MD
Everett Plastic Surgeon

Staph infection and breast augmentation

+1

Infection is rare after breast augmentation though it is known that some individuals may carry staph bacteria. When the stakes are high, such as heart procedures, or hip replacement, patients may be screened to reduce the risk of infection. Talk to your surgeon and primary care physician about staph. They choose to screen you and make sure you are not colonized by bad bugs beforehand.

peterejohnsonmd

Breast implants and immune compromise

+1

You need to tell your surgeon about this before surgery and he/she will refer you to infectious disease specialist and/or general internist for a consultation. Your risk of another infection after breast surgery is of course higher than normal and the needs to be addressed as part of the planning for breast surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Breast implants, infection

+1

It is concerning that you have had 3 infections of the same type during the past year. Some people carry MRSA and if that is the case this can be treated prior to surgery. You will need to see your physician about this

David L. Abramson, MD

Staph Infection from Breast Surgery?

+1

If you have a history of staph infections you should alert your prospective surgeon.He  in turn will take the necessary steps to prevent peri operative wound infection.

Erel Laufer, MD

Staph Infection

+1

If you have a history of Staph infection, you need to make sure that you take every precaution before having surgery.  It would be best to have a full medical workup prior to surgery and possibly a pre-operative round a antibiotic treatment to ensure or minimize any chance of infection during your surgery.

Good Luck

David Shafer, MD