Have A Staph Infection From Scab, Could My Implants Be Infected?

In May, I had implants put in, and have had a scab on the left breast since the surgery. I July I noticed a small hole on the left breast, so I showed the Dr. and he picked the scab and put ointment on it and sent me on my way. The middle of August, I ended up in the hospital with a 101.7 fever and infection. Found out I have staph. Now, 2 weeks later, breast is still swollen and not going down. Do you think that the implant is infected? The Plastic Surgeon doesn't seem too concerned.

Breast implant infection

+2

What are you waiting for. You seems to have an infection, and very possibly an infection of the implant.

See you plastic surgeon immediately.NOW

Breast Reconstruction

+1

You may want to get another opinion to put your mind at ease.  See another Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and listen to another perspective.  If they are not concerned the implant is not infected, then odds are your implant is not infected.

Web reference: http://www.elitemdspa.info/

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Infection of Breast Implant

+1

Infections after the placement of breast implants are relatively uncommon in both breast augmentation and breast reconstruction cases.  Fortunately, the majority of infections are superficial in nature.  These superficial infections are often treated with either IV or oral antibiotics.  Infrequently, deep infections can occur which involve the actual breast implant.  Some surgeons will attempt to salvage these cases by a variety of methods, while the majority of board certified of plastic surgeons will typically choose to remove these implants in order to adequately treat the infection.  The most common signs of infection are redness, drainage, increased warmth, fever, swelling, pain, and an increased white blood cell count.  The best source of determining whether or not you have an infection is your local plastic surgeon.  If you have lost faith in your surgeon, you might consider a second opinion by a local board certified plastic surgeon in your area.

Yuba City Plastic Surgeon

Infected implant

+1

If you have a red swollen painful breast, it sounds like you have an infection, and probably need the implant  removed, but without an exam I could not be sure. You should see or speak to your surgeon ASAP.