I am 4 weeks post-op remove & replace saline to silicone. A week ago I was lifting my child & felt a severe pain in my left breast with swelling and severe pain that followed the next day. My surgeon is out of town. Saw his partners. Breast was swollen but still soft. Temp of 101. Did not appear to be a hematoma. Was not red or warm. Had an US and then an US guided aspiration. Grew Staph Aureus. Susep to everything. First Levaquin, now Bactrim. How do they determine if they remove it or not?
Staph Aureus 4 Weeks Post-op Breast Augmentation. What Are the Chances of Losing my Implant? (photo)
Doctor Answers 8
Staph Infection After Breast Augmentation
I am sorry that you have developed a serious infection.
If the Staph Aureus is lodged in the pocket surrounding the implant, the latter one has to be removed and then replaced by another one once the infection is 100% cleared.
However, you should be aware that possible capsular contracture could take place so I do not recommend that you take the risk to salvage the situation.
Thank you for sharing your photos and the best of luck to you.
Breast augmentation infection question
Your doctor will follow you and if things do not get better then the implant(s) will be removed. A new implant may be replaced in the future but it still may have problems. Salvage is possible but capsular contraction is often a problem. The key is a thing called biofilm which will form on the implant and is not treated by antibiotics. Good Luck!
Staph Aureus 4 weeks post op
This is a rare but very serious complication. I have rarely seen slavage of an implant even with IV antibiotics. Four months after the breast has healed from implant removal, a new implant can be placed. Antibiotics, with the Staph, is sensitive and should be used in the peri-operative period. It is a dissicult thing for the patient, but allowing things to heal properly will help obtain a satisfactory result.
You might also like...
Staph Aureus 4 Weeks Post-op Breast Augmentation. What Are the Chances of Losing my Implant?
This is a serious complication because of the increased risk for capsular contracture increases due to this infection and the reaction of the tissues to the staph. a. I would follow you very closely, every few weeks for 3 months, offer external ultrasound therapy, start massaging lightly to aggresive. Good luck.
Staph infection following breast implants
Unfortunately, infections in the setting of breast implants (or any implants) can be difficult to manage. Cellulitis (skin infection) following implant placement can sometimes be treated successfully with antibiotics and may not require implant removal. However, when fluid that surrounds an implant is infected, it almost always requires that the implant be removed. Usually an implant can be replaced after removal, but only after the infection has completely cleared.
It is important that you follow-up closely with your surgeon and follow his/her recommendations for further treatment.
Most common problem post infection is capsular contracture
If your infection clears up and responds to the antibiotics(which is unlikely) you still at high risk of capsular contracture. The picture shows drains post op and early capsular contracture at four weeks. If your breast start to get even harder ,you need to remove them and wait few months before replacement.
Very difficult to clear infection around a implant.
I am quite impressed that your radiologist agreed to aspirate and culture the fluid collection. Generally speaking however I have always at least removed the implant completely draining the collection and then decide how to procede.
Strictly speaking the implant is single use and should not be replaced. If it were to be replaced I would use a drain while continuing antibiotics.
Here again the clinical judgment of your surgeon is most important.