Am I Good Candidate For A Tummy Tuck With a Low Thin Scar? (Photos)

I am 5'1, 125 lbs who works out 5-6 days/week with weight training,cardio,and lots of core training. My body had been through 3 c-sections within 4 years (ranging 4,2,and 10month old baby. I am considering a tummy tuck for MR and to get the ultimate fb abs with definition that I once had.Do you think I can get a great result with a tummy tuck. By great I mean very low scar below or same as my c-section, very thin waist, thin scar, and text book perfect? Thanks! :)

Anchoring sutures

+1
Thank you for your post. It is not common for surgeons to anchor the lower incision to the fascia or covering of the abdominal muscles to keep the scar low, however, I do use this technique and agree with it. All the tension on the incision is from above, not below, and thus the scar tends to move toward the area of maximal tension (towards the ribs/bellybutton). This moves the scar higher than desired. I like to keep my scars very low, and feel that anchoring the scar helps accomplish this. The following photo is an example of this.

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Perfect Tummy Tuck Results

+1

Thank you for your question and photos.

From the photos, it looks like you would have a nice result with a tummy tuck surgery.  You should visit with board certified plastic surgeons who have lots of experience performing tummy tuck procedures.  I perform many tummy tuck surgeries and I do my best for my patients but I NEVER promise a perfect result.  There are many factors involved with surgery and recovery that determine the final result.  Make sure that you are informed of all of the potential risks and complications associated with the surgery so that you are not disappointed afterwards.

Best Wishes!

I wonder why an only "good" candidate for tummy tuck would expect a "text book perfect" result?

+1

I must respectfully reiterate what Dr. Whitt said: "Only a fool would guarantee that you would have a 'textbook perfect result.'" All of us aim for the "perfect" result, but neither we, nor our patients, are capable of perfection no matter how much we try. Some things are outside our control, like bleeding, scarring, healing, nausea causing vomiting and possible muscle repair loosening, etc.

But I know you know that, and yet still had to explain it one more time to inject a bit of reality into this discussion.

Your photo (thanks for including!) does seem to show a good candidate for this surgery. Just how low your scar will be is determined by your skin laxity, your xiphoid-to-umbilicus distance compared to umbilicus-to-pubic distance, and the surgical talents of your surgeon. The degree of "very thin waist" depends on how much intra-abdominal pressure exists as your diastasis is tightened, and the technique and degree of tightness deemed safe by your surgeon. Whether or not it "holds" and heals properly is dependent on whether or not you throw up, keep your lifting and straining below the tensile strength of your fascial tissues and suture strength, are constipated, etc. Your "thin scar" depends not only on suture material, closure technique, skill and precision of your surgeon, but also on how your tissues heal. Can you guarantee that you will not throw up, be constipated, heal with an irritated slightly wider scar, or get an infection?

Do you smoke, do you have a cat in the house, and can you guarantee you don't have Methicillin-resistant Staph aureus living in your nasal mucous?

Again, I'm not trying to be mean or disrespectful of your question, as I truly understand that every patient wants the best possible result. But "text book perfect" is not how ANY surgeon (or any patient) should describe an anticipated result. It is a worthy goal, but the best result any surgeon in the world can offer will be a disappointment if you don't have realistic expectations.

You ARE a good candidate, and if you choose your surgeon carefully, you have a very high likelihood of a good (maybe even a GREAT) result. Of course, you have to do your part also (and that's not just pay the bill)! Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

You should get a very good result with tummy tuck

+1

Greetings,

You look like an excellent candidate for a tummy tuck. Whenever surgery is performed, your surgeon will strive for perfection. That being said, in any given patient, complications can arise. Sometimes the scar can widen or thicken. Assuming you're in good health, your risk of complication should be low, but certainly is not zero. It's not realistic to expect perfection. What you can expect is a flat, more contoured abdomen with a low scar.

Hope this helps - Sam Jejurikar, MD

Sam Jejurikar, MD

Question about tummy tuck and outcome

+1

Though your photos are quite clear and helpful to some extent, it would be conjecture to state definitively what procedure you would benefit from and the outcome. Only a physical examination could determine that. Also, don't expect a perfect "textbook" promise.

Though you do have some protrusion of your abdomen, there does not appear to be a considerable amount of laxity below your umbilicus and little above. That would indicate either some variant of a tummy tuck (less likely) or even just a modified mini tummy tuck.

Your best bet would be to consult with one or more plastic surgeons in your area.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Normal weight, loose skin, mild fatty deposits make for an ideal Tummy Tuck Candidate

+1

Above adjectives describe you. You are an ideal candidate for ABDOMINOPLASTY with following step by step elements:

Low scar running in normal body crease.

Removal of skin and fat as a unit from above your belly button down to the level of incision.

Tightenning of muscles to enhance waistline.

Liposuction of your waist to achieve hour glass shape.

Restting of your belly button after enhancing its shape, preferrably in a vertical ellipse since that makes tummies look sleek.

YOU NEED FULL TUMMY TUCK WITH FLANK LIPOSUCTION.  I disagee with recommendation of anything else.

Good luck 

Vasdev Rai, MD

Am I a good candidate for a textbook perfect tummy tuck?

+1

An ideal tummy tuck removes the excess skin, improves the waistline, and repairs the abdominal wall laxity. A scar that is easily hidden by underwear or a bikini is another goal. These results can be obtained in almost all cases, yours included.

Frank Agullo, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Am I Good Candidate For A Tummy Tuck With a Low Thin Scar?

+1

Based upon your photos I would not be able to give a very low incision due to the nature of your abdomen or the lack there of. Seek more in person evaluations. 

Candidate for tummy tuck

+1

You should have a very nice result with a standard tummy tuck.  The scar should lie at the level of the c-section incision.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Minni abdominoplasty

+1

Your picture is that of someone with minimal excess skin and some fat. You may be a candidate for a mini abdominoplasty and the scar can be shorter, most people we see need the bigger operation but depending on your goals the shorter scar may be in order. You should get a good result.

Walter D. Gracia, MD
Arlington Plastic Surgeon