Steroid Injections for Every Checkup

Is it standard procedure for the doctor to give steroid injections at every checkup appointment?-about every 6 weeks for a year following the surgery? Is it safe to keep injecting the nose with steroids? What negative effects can this cause?

Steroid Injections at Every Checkup Not Recommended

+2

Not only is it not standard, it should not be done routinely. Some post-rhinoplasty patients do benefit from a short series of steroid shots; mostly to help with isolated areas of undue swelling in the supratip area. I limit steroid injections to 2 or 3 over a period of 6 weeks, and probably do it in less than 5% of my patients. 

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Not routine

+1

I agree that this is not a typical routine practice, and if the procedure goes as planned, these can be omitted altogether in most cases.  I agree with the risks as others have outlined.  If you are unhappy with your result, consult another rhinoplasty surgeon for a second opinion.

Colin Pero, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Steroid injections can be invaluable

+1

The use of steroids can be invaluable for helping to assure the most refined results.  I typically will use Kenalog injections starting on the 3rd or 4th week, then continuing as often as every 4 weeks until the healing is just as I picture.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Steroid injections a year after rhinoplasty

+1

Steroid injections are not the norm after rhinoplasty, and injections after a year are not likely to be effective in changing the nasal shape without a risk of thinning of the skin, broken blood vessels, and dents. If your intention is avoiding a revision, after one year all bets on steroids are off.

peterejohnsonmd

Intra-Nasal Steroid Injections After Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi Stormy,

I personally limit steroid injection sessions to three, separated by about 3 to 4 weeks.  Every surgeon has their own "method", but one must be careful to not distort the skin and soft tissue from overuse of steroid injections.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Steroid Injections for Every Checkup

+1

If you have not got any side affects such as excessive thinning of skin and atrophy, then you are fine. Although every 6 weeks of steroid injection is much too often but sometimes with a very thick skin, repeated injection of diluted steroid is required to keep scar formation at bay.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Steroid injection into nose scar tissues every 6 weeks IS a bit aggressive!

+1

But, aside from your concern that obviously stimulated this question, you should be able to see if:

•     Benefits are seen; i.e., scar lump or irregularity is reduced
  •     Excessive thinning or more irregularity is being caused
  •     Little or no response (which may be fine if your doctor is using weak and/or small doses)

I do use steroid injections when necessary or advisable to help reduce minimal subcutaneous scar thicknesses or irregularities, but I do so only after appropriate time for normal post-operative swelling is allowed to pass, I do so very conservatively (low doses and weak strengths at first), and I wait 2 months between injections to assess response and determine how to change the next injection dose or strength.

Bottom line: this IS a bit aggressive, but may not be inappropriate at all--you and your surgeon are the best judges of this, not on-line consultants who have not operated on you and have never seen you or even a photograph! If you feel uncomfortable with your doctor's response to questions or his/her recommendations, get another opinion from experienced American Board of Plastic Surgery-certified plastic surgeons or American Board of Otolaryngology-certified ENT surgeons.

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

It is not recommended

+1
The concern is long effect and tissue thinning and skin depression. I would recommend second opinion with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Steroid Injections for Every Checkup

+1

It is not a standard procedure to injecte the nose with steroids every 6 weeks.

This habit can result in but not limited to thinning out of the tissues and atrophic changes

Erel Laufer, MD