Staging Lift and Aug, Are My Expectations Realistic?

I am wanting a lift and aug after dramatic weight loss (40kgs), I was an F cup and now I "roll up" into a DD. PS i saw today said she doesn't want to do them both in the one procedure, 1. she fees I might be very happy with the probable D cup i'll be after the lift and 2. she said often with breasts like mine, the final result is better with staging. Many pics I see of the procedure done together, have odd nipple placement. Can this be avoided by staging? I hve incl pic of what i'd like

Breast Augmentation And Lift Successful Together If Done Right

+2

There is significant controversy among plastic surgeons about whether to perform a breast lift and breast augmentation in one procedure, or stage them into two separate procedures. I will tell you that there are potential benefits and problems with both approaches. I have seen patients in my office for re-do breast surgery following breast augmentation and breast lift that were previsiously done in both one stage and two stages. I truly feel that the surgical technique used is what most matters. I just recently published a technique for a one stage procedure that works very well in these situations.

Breast lift Or Without Augmentation

+2

It appears to me from your pre-op photo that you can probably achieve the result that  you are seeking with a breast lift or mastopexy alone.  Adding an implant to a mastopexy always increases the chances for problems.  You appear to have sufficient breast tissue to have a mastopexy or small reduction and obtain the look that you desire.  I would definitely suggest in your case to have the mastopexy alone.  You have not burned any bridges by doing this and can always have an implant placed at a later date if you want.

John Whitt, MD

Breast Lift, Augmentation

+2

I occassionally do the augmentation and lift in one stage but after looking at the photos you supplied I think your surgeon is correct. It is safer to separate the procedures and you might be surprised how much better you look just with the lift.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Staging lift and augmentation

+2

I regularly perform a lift and augmentation together, but I agree that you would be best off justing having the lift in the first instance and you may be happy when the volume is brought back up higher on your chest.

Jonathan J. Staiano, FRCS (Plast)
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation/Mastopexy; 2 Stage or 1 Stage.

+2

An augmentation/mastopexy done in 1 stage may be associated with a variety of residual contour irregularities and has a high revision rate.  In your particular case, I would also agree in a 2 stage procedure.  I would also agree that from your photos , it appears you still have considerable breast volume and , perhaps a breast lift alone will be sufficient and an augmentation unnecessary? 

Stephen Delia, MD

2 stage procedure

+2

I agree as well that a 2 stage procedure is the best option for you.  Each patient is different and so just because others have done the procedure in 1 stage does not indicate that you should.  I perform 2 staged procedures for many patients in your similar situation and the outcome is better and more importantly, the potential risks and complications are significantly reduced when performing the breast lift first and then going back for the augmentation surgery.  Sounds like you found someone who knows what they are doing.

Staging breast augmentation and breast lift may be best for you

+2

I agree with your plastic surgeon's recommendation in your particular case due to the size and degree of sagging of your breasts. There will be a much better and safer blood supply to the nipple/areola and breast tissue by staging the procedures, about 6-9 months apart. Once your breast tissue has healed from the lift, it will be quite straightforward to insert a breast implant to achieve the volume you desire.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD