Staging Breast Lift and Augmentation a Few Months Apart, Good Idea?

What is the opinion on doing the augmentation first and 3-4 months post sx do the lift? Wouldn't it make more sense to do a lift (s/p implant) so as to have the right amount of skin to work with as oppose to removing the skin first, to then have to search the right size implant?

Augmentation / Mastopexy: to stage or not to stage

+2

I prefer to do these at the same time.  In most cases I can predict whether a lift is needed or not at the consultation.  While there are several arguments for staging augmentation / mastopexy, I think the best argument for staging is for complicated cases, or redo's. In these situations, it may be safer proceed with two stages to minimize the risk of skin or nipple / areola necrosis.  Most cases however, are straight forward and can be done at the same time.

Staging breast lift and augmentation a few months apart - good idea?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! These two procedures can safely and effectively be performed in one setting, given you are healthy and without medical comorbidities to prevent such. Staging the procedures to have them done at various times will likely not have any cost benefit for you. When you combine procedures, there is often a discount that is provided by the surgeon for multiple procedures. Also, when having multiple procedures performed at the same time, you save on anesthesia and facility fees, which otherwise are paid for with each individual procedure. In addition, you may benefit by the single recovery time. Cost of these procedures will vary amongst plastic surgeons in addition to geographic location.

However, more important than the financial aspect, your plastic surgeon will have to determine for you if the viability of the breast as well as nipple-areolar complex may be placed at jeopardy if done at the same time. If for this reason, it would be wise to stage these procedures. Without an examination, it is difficult to tell you what to recommend.

Certainly it is you decision as to whether you have your procedures performed in one or multiple stages, but your surgeon will give his/her recommendations. Consult with a plastic surgeon well-versed in breast surgery who will discuss and examine you, while assisting you to decide which procedure will be the best option for you. I would discuss your concerns with your surgeon and see what your options are - sometimes multiple consultations with board-certified plastic surgeons is helpful for you to decide. Hope that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Staging versus Combined Breast Augmentation with Lift

+1

I prefer to perform a breast lift and augmentation in a single procedure.   I will offer a staged approach to patients who are unsure of their desire for implants or patients who need extensive breast revision.

I always inform patients who are undergoing breast lift/ breast augmentation and asymmetry correction that we are trying to correct size, shape, and symmetry in one setting, so the chance of revision is much higher than either alone.   With reconstruction of the breast after mastectomy, we typically recommend 2-3 staged procedures for this reason.

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Is it necessary to devide a augmentation with a lift into separate operations?

+1

Unless you are uncertain about the need for a lift with the associated additional scarring, the two operations can be performed as one. I always combine the two procedures thereby reducing overall recovery time and expense without compromising results. If a patient is wavering about the lift scars I might suggest she undergo the augmentation first to see if this alone will satisfy her needs. If it does not she can then return for the lift.

David A. Ross, MD

Lift first then augmenation

+1

Half the surgeons will advocate both the augmentation and lift can be done at the same time. However, this is the operation that plastic surgeons are frequently sued. It has more complications. The lift is tightening the breast and the augment expanding it and they fight each other. You are limited to a smaller implant, and a smaller implant has a smaller base leading to not as much superior fullness, that many patients want the implants to accomplish.  So you are compromising.

I recommend they be done separately most of the time. The exceptions are small amounts of droop with a peri-areolar (around the areola or nipple) scar with a shaped implant. The other exception is a smaller implant.

By doing the lift first the breast is tightened optimally. Then the appropriate size implant can be inserted 3 months later.

I believe the complication rate, both minor and major is lower by two stages, and better looking results.

The implant first and lift later, makes a full lift much harder, more risk of infection, and difficulties in shaping the breast. Again, the exception would be a very small lift needed that might be avoided with the implant alone.

Benjamin Van Raalte, MD
Davenport Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift and augmentation staged

+1

For many patients an augmentation and lift can be done at the same time. Some surgeons like to stage them and some place the implants first, and others lift the breast.

+1

In many cases, both procedures are done at the same time. However, in cases with very loose skin, uneven breasts, and if some risks factors are present, a staged procedure is appropriate and may be safer. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon

Staged breast lift , mastopexy in stages

+1

staged breast lift ,  mastopexy in stages

i ususally do one stage when possible..  a small percentage may need a touch up for addtional tightening or scar improvement.  this may happen with staged surgery anyway.

if staged ..  i usually do the lift first ..  this gives me the opportunity to make adjustments when the implants are place

Why double risk and double costs? try mastopexy augmentation 5th generation technique

+1

this fantastic modern technique  has many  advantages over another breasts lift augmentation a.- do not  fall down again b.- any viscible scar except on upper areola tissues d.-do not  affect sensibility  and  future lactancy e.- the most important prevent breasts  cancer

Ramon Navarro, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

+1

I typically perform the breast lift and augmentation at the same time, and my revision rate is next to nothing.   Certainly, the operations can be staged.  From a purely intuitive standpoint, doing the augmentation first and performing the lift later does make good sense.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast augmentations and breast lifts each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA