Hardened Right Breast 10 Month PO?

My right breast got real hard 10 month after breast lift and augment. I just noticed it one day to another. My PS saw me twice and keep me on agressive massage for the past 3 weeks. It is not getting better. Very unconfortable and sits higher than the other. Is this capsular contract and will it resolve by massage ?

Massage has no effect on capsular contracture.

+2

There is no evidence that massage has any effect on capsular contracture.  When one considers that the biophysiologic phenomenon that compacts the implant goes on 24/7, why would anyone think that massaging several minutes a day is going to have any effect?  The literature doesn't support massage either.

Scar contracture after Breast Augmentation

+1

Based on the information you have given, it sounds like you have scar contracture.  The only way to correct this is with surgery.  Discuss this with your Plastic Surgeon.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Capsular Contracture and Massage

+1

The description you give sounds like capsular contracture and this is progressive.  Massage will not resolve the issue.  Only surgery can ameliorate the shape changes and pain.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Hardening of the breast 10 months post-op

+1

Progressive hardening of the breast does sound like capsular contracture.  While we have many theories regarding the causes of capsular contracture, we don't know for sure why it occurs in some individuals and not others.  Along those same lines, we have a few medical options including aggressive massage, vitamin E, and singulair that do help prevent it's progression to varying degrees.  As a final option to treat capsular contracture, some women will require implant exchange with a capsulectomy.  

I would suggest that you discuss your concerns regarding the development of capsular contracture with your surgeon.  He or she may want to try the non-surgical options or may have specific reasons why not to try them.  Good luck!

Anureet K. Bajaj, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants

+1

It sounds like you may have a capsular contracture. In addition to massage, taking singulair or Accolate may help to soften the contracture. If that does not work, then you may need surgery.

Gregory Sexton, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Capsular contracture and revision

+1

Massage will not help your capsular contracture. You will need a revision iwth removal of the capsule and exchange with a new implant.

It sounds like capsule contracture

+1

Thank you for the question.  A breast augmentation that is progressively getting firmer and more elevated should be suspected of being a capsule contracture until proven otherwise.  Sometimes time, massage, and certain medications can help to a certain degree but often surgery to remove all of the capsule, replace the implant, and sometimes place acellular dermal matrix is needed.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD