Is This Visceral Fat? Will It Adversely Effect my Tummy Tuck Results? (photo)

I am scheduled for a FTT/MR/Lipo of Flanks on 3/26/13. I have seen my PS and he promised me an optimal result. I am very comfortable with him, however, I worry that the bulge above my belly button is more than just Diastasis. Before children, I had barely noticable bulge, mostly flat however, after 2 kids 11 months apart, it bulges more and pulls on my back...so what is your opinion, could it be a mixture?Will l I still have a pot-belly after the TT? would extending my scar help? Thanks!

Visceral fat and tummy tuck

+3

Visceral fat, the fat that's behind the abdominal musculature and surrounding the intestines, will still be present after a tummy tuck, and this is what concerns you.  Tummy tucks and liposuction address the fat that's outside the abdominal musculature.  I can't say from your pictures how much of the fullness is from the internal versus the more external fat.  The photos are too distant, small, and dark to be able to answer this question the way you want.  From the side view it appears that some of the fullness extends down over your underwear, a pretty common finding.  That is typically very nicely addressed with a tummy tuck.  The fullness that's higher up is hard to assess.  When I see patients in consultation I'll tell them if I think the fullness is internal, in which case it will still be present after surgery, or external.  Ask your surgeon the way you're asking here.  Don't just settle for "You'll have an optimal result".  Ask him if he thinks that area will be nicely addressed during your surgery, but don't wait to do this when you see him on the day of your surgery.  Call his office and try to get in one more time between now and the 26th.  Look, this is a big decision, a big expense, a big operation, a big recovery.  Don't rush into it while you still have questions!

Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck and Visceral Fat #tummytuck

+2

We all carry fat internally that you correctly refer to as visceral fat. It is the fat that surrounds our organs and exists inside. It can add to the appearance of abdominal protrusion.This is why it is so important to maximally lose weight prior to a tummy tuck if you want the optimal results. You will lose weight internally as you exercise and diet appropriately and you will lose it from the abdominal wall. At the time of your surgery if your muscles are lose this can also contribute to protrusion of the abdomen and those muscles would be tightened at that time. So to answer you question, yes visceral fat can affect your outcome and it is up to you to change that.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Is This Visceral Fat? Will It Adversely Effect my Tummy Tuck Results?

+2

A scan of the upper abdominal area would eliminate or confirm a ventral hernia above you bb. Why not address this with your chosen surgeon NOW b

Tummy Tuck and interal fat

+2

Based on your pictures it appears that a TT will be effective and nicely improve your abdomen.  It is hard to tell if you have a significant amour of visceral fat without an exam. 

Dr ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Cosmetic Surgery is an Art and a Science

+2

The " visceral fat you refer to is inside the abdomen and won't affect your surgery. Discuss the bulge with your PS. This is likely due to muscle separation that can be addressed with your surgery. All the best.

Thomas A. Narsete, MD
Greenwood Village Plastic Surgeon

Expected results from TT

+2

I can't really see the bulge but I think that yo should get a fine result.

I think you may have a misunderstanding about "viseral fat".  This type of fat is inside the abdominal cavity, and in your case, shouldn't really be a factor.  Mor of a concern would be the fat above the muscle.  You don't seem to have an overly thick fat pad, so you should have a great result.

I would caution you that nobody can guarantee you a result.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Visceral fat

+2

Thanks for a great question, my colleagues have given excellent advise.  By your pictures I think you have some visceral fat, but only an exam in person would tell.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

May want to consider weight loss prior to an abdominoplasty

+2

When evaluating a patient for an abdominoplasty we must evaluate four components, skin, subcutaneous fat, anterior abdominal wall laxity or diastasis recti and visceral or intraabdominal fat.  You are correct to be concerned about this last component as it can not be corrected surgically.  The only way to lose visceral fat is through diet and exercise.  From your photos it appears that you have a combination of both visceral fat and anterior abdominal wall laxity.  You will certainly get a nice result with a standard abdominoplasty.  If you have any concerns then try to loose 10 to 15 pounds prior to the surgery.   Good luck.  

Visceral Fat is not Affected by Liposuction or Tummy Tuck

+2

The size and resolution of the pictures you included help a little, but nothing can replace the information gathered by the examination a doctor performs in the office.

I think you do have some visceral fat, and that will be unaffected by liposuction and tummy tuck surgery. The tummy tuck can repair the rectus diastasis, remove excess skin, and tighten the remaining skin. Liposuction can remove excess fat below the skin (above the abdominal muscles). But any fat inside the abdomen (visceral fat) is not accessible with either of these procedures. Weight loss is the only way to reduce visceral fat.

Ina addition to a tummy tuck, it appears that you will require some liposuction of the flanks and abdomen to improve your overall results. If you still have questions, ask your surgeon for a better explanation of his exam findings and how these relate to the procedures he has recommended for you.

Best wishes, Ken Dembny

Kenneth Dembny, II, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Visceral fat and tummy tuck

+2

The only way to know how much visceral fat you have is by an examination. As a hint though, if your stomach is flat when you are on your back, tummy tuck should do well, if it protrudes, you may have a visceral fat problem.