Downsizing volume and profile, thoughts?

10 yrs ago I had 300cc o/f to 330cc saline unders. I had developed mild cc in my right breast, had a capsulectomy & salines swapped out for Mentor 375cc silicone HPs. Im 12 mths PO & feel they are too large for me. I looked at different implant diameters & projection, I feel the Mentor 300cc Mod+ would be a better fit. Would like your opinions as to how much impact downsizing 75cc combined with a lower profile might have. I like the cleavage I have, just not the size. Went from a 32C to a 32DD.

Implant diameter and projection

You are looking at diameters and projections measured with the Mentor implant lying on a flat surface, like a tabletop. Your chest wall is curved, so that does not give you a good idea of what the implant will look like on your chest wall/rib cage. An increase of 75cc is about a half cup, so it is hard to understand how you went up 2 cup sizes from C to DD - high profile should not do that. If you like your shape, use the same implant and just decrease the size back to 300cc.

8345 Walnut Hill Lane
Dallas, TX 75231

Your results look great! Unless you really hate your current size, I wouldn't recommend downsizing. If you are certain this is what you want, it can be done. See a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

199 Avenue Road
Toronto, ON M5R 2J3

there probably will be a subtle difference. Downsizing is more difficult but keeping the implant diameters close should allow for a reasonable result

Glenn Lyle, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

1112 Dresser Court
Raleigh, NC 27609

Downsizing and Less projection

As Dr. Eppley has noted, a 75cc decease may bring you down to a D if you are currently a small DD. Since cup size is a ratio of breast volume to chest circumference it is tough to estimate exact post-operative bra sizes. Another confounding factor is that there is no standardization of this ratio by bra manufacturers. With that being said, it usually takes about 150cc to make a change in cup size in a 32 or 34 circumfrence chest. Thus it is surprising that you went up 2 bra cup sizes with only a 75cc implant size increase and no change in the circumference of your bra, meaning no weight loss or gain or buying different size circumference bras.

What's important is that you are happy with the size and look and it sounds like 300cc were the right size for you before and you will be happy with that size again. The change in projection of the implant will make subtle differences the cleavage and projection of you breast, but should not be very noticeable. A physical exam to measure the base diameter of you breast is necessary to help you with the decision. Hope this helps and good luck in finding the plastic surgeon who can assist you in choosing the correct implant for you.

Luis H. Macias, MD

4644 Lincoln Boulevard
Marina del Rey, CA 90292

Sizing down to a MP silicone 300cc will be a perceivable reduction, but no overly so. Your cleavage won't change much (especially in a bra). What size bra you end up in is impossible to tell for sure. Sizing varies widely from brand to brand. You certainly don't appear to be a DD now, so don't make your decision on what bra you get sized in. Make your decision on what you see in the mirror.

Jeffrey K. Scott, MD
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon

1219 East Ave South
Sarasota, FL 34239

Breast Implant Downsizing and Projection Change

A reduction in volume of 75cc of 375cc implants is a 20% downsizing. Going from a high profile to moderate plus profile makes for less than 1 cm of projection difference. Put together this will make you smaller and probably put you in a D cup as opposed to the DD cup you are now.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Indiana University Health North Hospital
Carmel, IN 46032

Great results

I think you have a great aesthetic and not too large of a result, if your breasts are soft I would really suggest not reoperating as you increased the risk of cap con

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

214 Sullivan St
New York, NY 10012

I personally think your breasts look great. That being said, if you were to downsize, I would keep the same profile and not decrease the size less than 50 cc and 75 would be better. Best of luck.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS

332 Washington St
Wellesley Hills, MA 02481

75 cc difference in implants

75 cc's is not a bi g change and I think from the photos you posted, they look very nice. I would be reluctant to do anything at this point.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Downsizing volume and profile

Hello!!! The larger the implant, the more chance of complications. It is important to discuss your expectations with the doctor. 75cc is a small difference but it can also make a difference. I think the 300cc that you have now look very natural and propotioned to your body. When you are naked your breasts should be proportioned to your overall body. If you are looking for more projection when you are wearing clothes, the key is the right bra to give you the best look for the right outfit.

Alfonso Gonzalez Cepeda, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Avenida Holbox #90,
Cancun, Quintana Roo 77500