Saline Breast Implants Lose Firmness over Time?

I got saline breast implants (350cc) 4yrs ago when i weighed 120lbs. I gained 30lbs in the last 3yrs, & over the last 4 months, lost the weight & now i weigh 113. I can move the bag around, and it hurts. & when i bend over, they feel squishy like they've lost fluid & they arent firm. why is this?

Saline breast implants do not lose firmness over time.

+1

Unless you have a very slow leak (deflation), your saline implant should maintain the firmness.  Given that you have gained and lost weight for the past 3 years, you probably do not as much breast tissue covering the implant.  Your implant pocket may have ben stretched with weight gain/loss as well. Please visit your plastic surgeon to see whether you have a slow leak vs. less coverage of the implant due to weight loss.

+1

Generally speaking the implants do not lose firmness but your breasts will allowing the implant to be less restricted. Howver, it is possible that you have a slow leak as another possible cause. Monitor the situation.

Saline Implant Deflation

+1

Breast implants are not subject to weight loss and keep their shape and volume. When implants go down in volume and become less firm, I would be very suspicious that they deflated. You need to go back and see your Plastic surgeon. If he used either Mentor or Allergan implants you are eligible for a set of free implants to replace the deflated ones.

Weight loss and breast implant feel

+1

You more than likely lost native breast volume and are palpating your implants a bit more now.  You may want to consider a lift and different implants possible silicone gel to get a more natural feel.

Change in breast feel after weight loss

+1

Hi there-

Without examining you, it is difficult to know what might be going on...

It's possible your implants are leaking, or that your breast tissue itself is simply thinner and less dense as a result of your weight loss....

Your best bet is to visit a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an evaluation.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Implant Firmness Gone

+1
It is likely that given the weight gain and now the loss, that your breasts have deflated.  There may be a slight possibility that the implants are leaking as well, but less likely.
Saline implants in my opinion do not hold up as well as silicone implants do over time.  I also feel that the surrounding breast tissue does not hold up as well with saline implants as the tissues do with silicone.
Without seeing you, I would say that you likely are looking at a breast lift to start with and may be switching the saline out for silicone so that you dont have the "sloshing" feeling.
Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Implant and breast changes over time and weight loss

+1

Several thing can be going on here including implant deflation and tissue deflation from weight gain and loss.  Have a plastic surgeon check you as you might need new implants and you might need a lift of the breasts.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS