Is It Okay to Squeeze Nose to Get Rid of Blackheads One Month After Rhinoplasty?

One month after my rhinoplasty I have been squeezing my nose to get rid of blackheads. I had a small hump shaved and the tip shortened and lifted. Can I have caused any permanent damage by squeezing my nose to get rid of blackheads? Is the tip strong enough to withstand squeezing blackheads out? Thanks

Squeezing the Nose for Blackheads 1 Month Post Rhinoplasty

+1

I do not recommend squeezing the nasal tip 1 month post rhinoplasty. It would be less risky and more effective if you consult with your surgeon and/or your dermatologist regarding proper skin care.

Squeezing pores after rhinoplasty

+1
I would not recommend that whether you had or have not had surgery. Squeezing blackheads traumatizes your skin and can lead to infection and scarring. It will not solve the problem of clogged pores. Gentle exfoliation with AHA with retin-a should gradually improve your skin. If you have an impacted pore, see aestheticians who use sterile equipment. I would be particularly cautious about skin manipulation after surgery as this can lead to a serious infection.

Joseph Shvidler, MD
Tacoma Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

No, not IMHO.  That's too much pressure on the nasal skin and underlying cartilages 1 month after a Rhinoplasty.

Use caution, Extreme caution

+1

I would certainly not recommend this at one month.  You might have an esthetician do this with some steam and an ezxtractor very gently.  Why not call your plastic surgeon and check, it may also depend on the type of rhinoplasty you had.  good luck.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Caution should be used post rhinoplasty

+1
While it is a common practice with some patients who have oily skin and are prone to blackheads to want to squeeze them post rhinoplasty caution should be taken. In my office I have a full time aesthetician to help alleviate this practice post surgery. While the nose may withstand some light squeezing this should be done under the care of an aesthetician who uses steam and other products to allow this process done with minimal pressure. Use a good alpha hydroxy based cleanser and astringent and limit any pressure applications to the tip. If your surgeon has an aesthetician in office or one he/she refers to then I would make an appointment and get on a good skin care regimen. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD